Director of People
The Harris Federation is the leading large multi-academy trust in England for primary and secondary education. Working in areas of high deprivation, our academies are making a huge difference to the life chances of many thousands of young people. With 50 academies in and around London, almost 5,000 staff and 38,000 students, we are a successful and thriving organisation.
We have created the brand new position of Director of People, and we are interested to hear from experienced and accomplished HR professionals who understand the importance of education and developing talent. The position requires an individual who can both work strategically and take a hands-on, practical and action-oriented approach. Based in our East Croydon head office, you will work closely with fellow Directors and the wider management team to develop our people strategy, promote our values, and help shape our culture.
About our culture
Our people are at the heart of our success. We have developed a strong culture of collaboration and best practice, with professional development and career planning at its centre. We invest in our staff with support, coaching, mentoring, and a wide range of top-quality training programmes delivered at every level from beginner teachers to executive leaders. All our academy locations are within a commutable distance of each other, giving our staff access a close supportive and collaborative network of senior leaders, mentors and specialists.
Overview of responsibilities
As our new Director of People, you will keep our people focused, productive and engaged so that the Federation can continue to grow, attract top talent, develop the skills of its staff and further evolve its inclusive culture. The postholder will report directly to the Chief Executive and will be responsible for the design, development and effective implementation of all workforce, education, training and organisational development strategies. As our Director of People you will be expected to:
- Develop, implement and oversee a Federation-wide human resource strategy consistent with best practice, and implement HR initiatives in line with the Federation's objectives;
- Lead the Federation's HR department, spanning learning and development, employee engagement, compensation and benefits, talent management, HR information systems (HRIS) and department financial planning;
- Monitor and develop the Federation's equalities policy and practice as it relates to staff;
- Ensure effective processes are in place to enable change management processes and restructurings;
- Establish and maintain appropriate HR policies and conditions of service and working practices, monitoring adherence and effectiveness;
- Oversee a rapid programme of opening academies and TUPE projects from an HR perspective, including Trade Union consultation;
- Manage the provision of appropriate management information reports for HR data to all levels of management;
- Ensure the provision of a high quality occupational health service;
- Liaise closely with Principals on safeguarding issues to ensure, as a minimum, compliance with the legislative framework and guidance around safer recruitment, and keeping abreast of developments in this area; and
- Support senior colleagues in determining and delivering the vision and strategic goals of the Federation.
For more information and to apply, please click Apply here on Changeboard.
For a confidential discussion, please contact our advising consultants at Anderson Quigley: Elliott Rae on +44 (0)7584 078 534 or Elyse Turner-Pearce on +44 (0)7808 648 559.
The closing date for applications is noon on Monday 8th February 2021.
We are committed to equality and to valuing diversity as an employer and a provider of education.