Head of HR Operations
- Extremely competitive reward package
- HR Business Partner, HR Director, HR Manager, HR Operations, Head of HR
- Job Level
- Director / Head / VP
- Contract type
- Responsible for leading both strategic and operational HR excellence
- A business that has undergone rapid growth through acquisition
About Our Client
EPH is a leading Central European energy group that owns and operates assets in the Czech Republic, the Slovak Republic, Germany, Italy, Ireland, the UK, France, Hungary, Poland and Switzerland. EPH is a vertically integrated energy utility covering the complete value chain ranging from highly efficient cogeneration, power and heat generation, natural gas transmission, gas storage, as well as gas, heat and electricity distribution and supply. The scope includes also trading and logistics platforms, gas infrastructure management, and real estate development. The companies in the group employ around 25,000 people.
EPUKI represents the UK interests of EPH of approximately £1bn revenue, >£150m EBITA and an asset base of nearly £1bn.
With a significant operating platform, EPUKI's strategic focus is to establish a tier 1 position in the UK power generation market. The UK team has the objective of achieving substantial further growth, through acquisitions and investment in construction of new build generation assets
The role can be based in Leeds with national coverage (other base locations can be considered with a London head office and asset sites in the North East, Lincolnshire, Devon, NI and ROI,)
For the HR team, no two days are the same. EPUKI are constantly seeking to improve which requires change, whether through scalable organisation design centrally or operational design at the assets, improving performance management and recruitment systems or pay, benefits and pensions review. Whilst driving improvements across the BAU activities you will be excellent at juggling requirements such as pay negotiations with trades unions, individual total remuneration review and benefit design, creation of bonus schemes and business partnering with line managers and teams. All with the objective of maximising people performance and improving the EP colleague experience
The opportunity in the Head of HR Operations role is to deputise for the Head of HR as an integral part of the EPUKI leadership team, operating within a matrix structure wherever possible to maximise flexibility and you should be comfortable operating across all elements of the HR Profession Map:
- Employee Relations - Extensive and complex ER and IR situations arise frequently when you are operating in a business that is heavily unionised and made up of multiple acquisitions. You must be able to demonstrate how you can unpick these and present commercial and effective solutions to the Operational leadership team whilst driving the engagement objectives of each site.
- Employee Experience - An engaged workforce is a high performing one; as a commercial focused and high growth organisation, EPUKI values a performance culture. Every leader in the business is accountable for being part of bringing the culture and people experience together under a common goal.
- Organisation development and design - As a high growth business there needs to be a focus on how to maximise organisational effectiveness through people, processes and systems. This is a blank sheet of paper for this role to own and evolve.
- People analytics
- Resourcing & Talent Management - Securing and retaining the best talent is at the top of the Senior Leadership priorities for EPUKI. Your role as Head of HR Operations is to constantly challenge and evolve both resourcing and talent practises to ensure the business attract and retain the best people.
- Reward - In line with the Talent strategy, the reward structure needs to remain market leading and ahead of the local and national competition.
- Learning & Development - High performing cultures are driven by effective leaders, a concept not lost on the SLT at EPUKI. You're role is to drive a culture of continuous improvement and learning across each of the assets both directly and through mobilisation of the HR Operations team.
- Diversity & Inclusion - A progressive approach to talent acquisition also requires a progressive approach to inclusive cultures. This role will have the opportunity to design and lead on D&I strategies that will progress the performance of the business and the direction of future growth.
EPUKI has grown rapidly through acquisition and the history of our assets brings significant complexity. The HR team are focused on establishing high quality, systematic and appropriate people processes with consideration given to the suitability of local vs. central policy and ways of working.
EPUKI is not run like a traditional utility, our aim is to maintain our agility and flexibility, maximising our performance, speed of decision making and keep bureaucracy at bay.
The Successful Applicant
To ensure your application is successful for the Head of HR Operations please ensure your CV demonstrates examples of the following:
- That you have developed an organisation from a HR perspective,
- Driven improvement whilst adding value across the HR spectrum,
- Understanding of the commercial / financial drivers that underpin decision making,
- The use of data and logic to form structured proposals and arguments,
- Effective communication skills and influence of a wide range of colleagues from those in operational asset roles through central functions, local senior teams, group executives and members of the Board,
- Ability to adjust your written communication style as required for internal group communication, senior team decision making or Board or RemCo proposals,
- Ability to build relationships across the above groups as well as with external parties such as trades unions or industry HR professionals,
- Navigation through complex ER/IR situations within a unionised environment and outcomes you achieved,
- The aptitude to quickly understand complex HR legal issues and identify and rank solutions,
- Demonstrable examples where you have effectively delivered organisational and contractual change,
- You will be innovative, aspirational, driven and appropriately tenacious. You focus on solutions and inspire others to follow your lead,
- Whilst you may have managed teams of HR professionals, you are detail focused with a hands-on approach. EPUKI is a lean organisation and you must be prepared to follow up your ideas with delivery of the improvement.
- Experience working in a complex, multisite operation.
- Previous experience operating at a senior level in an industrial and unionised environment is essential
- Ability to travel nationally and to NI when safe to do so
Part of the role will be to aid the review of existing practices and input to the prioritisation of the HR team's objectives. Current ways of working have often been inherited from different parts of the Group and we need to identify what great looks like across the HR map, understand the value and costs of change, prioritise, positively influence stakeholders and implement.
**As this is a number 2 role, applicants who have previously operated as a number one should include in the covering note how they would approach being a number 2 and not sole decision maker.
You will also be hands-on, adding your skills, knowledge and experience wherever they can add most value.
This is a great opportunity to input to the design and development of a HR function that is not bogged down with long established practices. CV's need to demonstrate your ability to input and design in an innovative and creative way.
What's on Offer
- Competitive base salary
- Car Allowance
- Contributory pension
- Competitive bonus
- EPUKI are open to supporting relocation and agile working for the right person so welcome applications from further afield
The total reward package on offer, inclusive of bonus will constitute a 6 figure sum.
Michael Page will be acting on behalf of EPUKI to shortlist applications, any third party approaches will be directed back to Michael Page as part of the recruitment process.
Where specific UK qualifications are required we will take into account overseas equivalents. All third party applications will be forwarded to Michael Page.
Ref Code: MPTC14097502Z