HR Business Partner
- Osborne Clarke
- Bristol or London
- HR Business Partner
- Job Level
- Business Partner
- Legal, Professional Services
- Contract type
We have a new opportunity for a HR Business Partner to join our dynamic Human Resources team. We are happy to consider candidates looking to work on a full time basis but are also open to considering some flexibility. The role is open to applicants wishing to be based in our Bristol or London offices.
Who we are:
Osborne Clarke is recognised as one of the UK's most forward-thinking law firms. Our success is down to excellence in our approach to our clients, our people and our business.
With a growing international reach, particularly in Europe but also across Asia and the US, we look after a wide range of commercial clients such as Lloyds, HSBC, Facebook, and Vodafone as well as entrepreneurs and digital start-ups.
Our focussed strategy and positive working environment have been rewarded by many prestigious awards for career progression, management and culture.
Our people are at the heart of our business. Our multi award-winning HR team is highly respected for the central and strategic role it plays. We are renowned for our unstuffy and supportive culture, encouraging all our people to make the most of their talent with stretching careers in a fast growing and exciting environment.
We are based across Bristol and London and having seen rapid growth over the past five years are now a team of 35. We are divided into specialist teams covering HR Business Partnering, HR Operations, Inclusion & Corporate Responsibility, Reward & Benefits, Recruitment & Resourcing, Organisational Development and People Development, although we work together closely and enjoy a very collaborative working environment.
Recent HR related accolades include:
- Legal Cheek awards 2020: Best Law Firm for partner approachability and highly commended for training.
- RollonFriday Firm of the Year survey 2020: Runner up and named in top 5 for fourth year running.
- Bristol Law Society awards 2019: Firm of the Year.
- Management Today 2019: Ray Berg (Managing Partner) named Agent of Change in recognition for his work in championing gender equality.
- Managing Partners Forum awards 2019: Best Corporate Culture.
What you'll do:
Our HR Business Partners work in close partnership with business leaders to ensure the Practice Group defines and implements its strategic people plan and manages its people in a way that meets the current and future needs of the business.
Working closely with key stakeholders, you will provide strategic and operational HR guidance and support to Practice Groups across our three UK locations (Bristol, Thames Valley & London). Your focus is on improving the performance of the Practice Group through its people and ensure alignment with OC's overall strategy.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Helping to implement the Practice Group's people and talent plan. You'll keep progress under review and measure impact in terms of business outcomes.
- Coaching Partners and Fee-Earners in HR matters and to manage change effectively.
- Overseeing talent management and succession planning for your Practice Groups, focusing on preparing and retaining talent for future positions.
- Leading on promotion processes.
- Ensuring diversity and inclusion is a central part of the Practice Group's people plan and that business leaders look at each decision through a D&I lens.
- Working closely with stakeholders to make sure your Practice Groups are the right size and shape to deliver against annual business targets and budgets. You'll keep this regularly under review and use insight to influence decision making about people, promotions and recruitment throughout the year. You'll advise on organisational design as needed.
- Supporting Partners to continually improve employee engagement within the Practice Group and ensuring feedback is listened to and acted upon so that our culture remains a competitive advantage.
- Working with colleagues in People Development to ensure that capability, and management capability, is being developed.
- Leading on complex or sensitive employee relations matters as needed.
- Leading on strategic HR projects, as well as influencing and contributing to change projects across the business.
- Influencing reward decisions in the Practice Group, driving fairness and consistency, and taking the lead on annual pay review and bonus nominations.
- Line managing one HR Advisor, and managing (or have a dotted line to) a HR Assistant, so you'll oversee a full remit of HR service to your Practice Group. You'll coach your team and build their capability. You'll act as an escalation point for the HR Advisor as necessary.
- Working with colleagues in Recruitment to ensure we attract the best talent and managers have the right recruitment and selection skills for this.
What we're looking for:
We are looking for a driven and enthusiastic HR Business Partner with demonstrable experience ideally gained within a professional services environment.
- Strong interpersonal, influencing and communication skills, with the confidence to interact with people at all levels. Able to forge strong professional working relationships with internal clients.
- Effective coaching skills.
- Confidence to engage with a client group to help them drive their business forward with pragmatic, business focussed, cost effective advice. Able to think strategically, remaining mindful of OC's strategy and considering big picture implications.
- Able to manage multiple tasks at once and also able to demonstrate that you work well both as part of a team and independently. Able to manage expectations amongst internal clients whilst maintaining credibility and professionalism.
- Professional and flexible in approach, able to adapt to changing requirements and circumstances. Able to remain impartial.
- Custodian of the OC culture.
To submit your application, please click on the link provided.
At Osborne Clarke we welcome direct applications - if you would like any further information about the role, or the firm, we would be delighted to hear from you. Please contact, in complete confidence, Emily Webb in the Recruitment team on firstname.lastname@example.org.
Although we provide closing dates as a guide, please note that we review applications on a rolling basis.
NO AGENCIES PLEASE
At Osborne Clarke, we are known for our open and inclusive culture. We believe that by investing in the diversity and wellbeing of our people, we create an environment where everyone can thrive to be the best that they can be. This means recognising that our people have lives and commitments outside of work. We have invested in connected working for our people and, where possible, we will accommodate flexible working for all our roles.