Learning and Development Manager (14 Month Fixed Term Contract)
Would you like to join one of the world’s most prestigious law firms?
We are offering a competitive package for an experienced learning and development professional to join our Learning and Development team as maternity cover.
Who we are
Slaughter and May is a leading City law firm with a reputation for providing exceptional legal service. With our collegiate working environment and creative, quality and business-aware approach to all of our work, our lawyers focus on providing excellence in everything they do, advising on high-profile and ground-breaking international transactions.
This focus on excellence is replicated throughout the firm with everyone in the legal and business services teams dedicated to providing the highest quality service to our external and internal clients.
We are recruiting a Learning and Development Manager (FTC to cover maternity leave) to join the Learning and Development (L&D) team of 15, part of the HR department based at the firm’s head office in London. The HR department comprises five teams: HR Advisory and Resourcing; Trainee Recruitment; Inclusion and Corporate Responsibility; Reward and Benefits; and L&D. Each team reports to the Director of HR, Louise Meikle.
L&D is a busy team, focused on delivering high-quality service to the firm. The L&D Manager will be responsible for managing our extensive Business Services and trainee skills programmes, as well as being involved in associate and client training programmes and broader L&D initiatives. The role will include design and delivery of training.
This role will work closely with people across all of HR and various other stakeholders across the firm. The successful candidate will need to be able to build relationships at all levels and work collaboratively, while also pushing forward independently.
These are the key responsibilities – though there may be others which are not listed. This role may involve some working outside our normal working hours of 9:30am to 5:30pm.
- Lead on all Business Services and secretarial training, including management and leadership programmes, general and bespoke sessions and 1:1s
- Responsibility for the trainee skills programme, including induction, PSC, commercial and financial awareness programmes and 1:1s
- Responsibility for the firm’s ethics and compliance training programmes, working alongside the General Counsel
- Design and delivery of various associate business skills training sessions
- L&D lead for our flagship Aspiring General Counsel Programme 2020, working alongside partners, BD and Events
- L&D lead for external-facing Corporate Responsibility training, working alongside our Inclusion and Corporate Responsibility team
- Line management of Advisor and Assistant
Candidates for this position will be expected to have worked in a law firm or other professional services environment and have experience designing and delivering training. In addition, the successful candidate will:
- Have experience in the use of MBTI and DISC psychometric tools
- Communicate professionally, effectively and diplomatically with people at all levels in person, on the telephone and in writing
- Be able to build strong relationships with various levels of people from across the firm and within the team
- Be able to work with demanding individuals and to use strong influencing skills where necessary
- Have excellent organisational skills, with the ability to multi-task, keep calm under pressure and work to tight deadlines
- Demonstrate excellent attention to detail
- Be sensitive to the need to maintain confidentiality, as appropriate
- Be able to work collaboratively in a team, but also be comfortable working on their own
- Have experience of working in a diverse team while fostering an inclusive team culture
- Be proactive, solutions-focused and confident
Display a high level of professionalism, integrity and professional ethics at all times