Associate Director - HR M&A - Transaction Services
KPMG is a market leader in providing Deal Advisory services to clients when they are buying, selling, or transforming businesses. The HR M&A team is a specialist team within Deal Advisory and has been helping clients with their people related issues in M&A for over 12 years. We work at the forefront of transactions, helping both acquirers and vendors on pre- and post-deal people and organisational issues related to M&A.
KPMG research routinely shows that one of the biggest reasons for deals failing is people, our team helps to mitigate this. We deal with all aspects of the employee journey in M&A, from early stage strategy development and organisational design for carve-outs, to synergy cases and cost benefits, employee experience and corporate cultures, developing TUPE transfer processes and Union negotiation strategies. We work together to develop solutions to the issues our clients may face, and understand the financial benefits or risks that may be present from a people perspective
The Associate Director role is a key role to the team, developing our practice and proposition areas, leading and delivering global projects, and working alongside the C-suite of global organisations. We believe heavily in the development of our people. Associate Directors will work alongside Partners and Directors, providing one to one coaching as well significant internal and external courses, and performance management, to help develop them and rapidly build their careers.
Our four key client proposition areas are
- Employee Experience
- Organisational Strategy Development
- Labour Relations & Compliance
- HR Operations
The existing members of the team have specialisms in one or multiple areas. Associate Directors are not expected to have all skill sets, but to lead teams to deliver on these areas.
In this role, you will work and lead projects, working closely alongside senior members of the team, who will provide guidance and insight into the deal environment, enabling you to build your transactions knowledge and further develop your People, Organisational Design, Strategy and HR skills base.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Leading medium to large sized engagements and being the day to day HR support for clients on these engagements.
- Leading, contributing to and reviewing Integration and Separation related deal and transaction reports from a people or strategy perspective.
- Commenting on the people elements of the business including cost, numbers, people and legal issues such as TUPE or unions, and systems and HR contracts.
- Providing insights on people aspects of the deal that are relevant to the client and readers of the due diligence reports and to be able to explain issues simply, highlighting the impact of people on business strategy, operations and, ultimately, deal valuation.
- Developing an understanding of people benchmarks and qualitative information to provide insights to clients to describe a typical organisational / functional headcount, design and associated cost.
Integration & Separation
- Advising on people, strategy and organisational design aspects of integration, separation (carve outs) and optimisation initiatives (e.g. synergy analysis) including the development of target operating models, understanding the current people landscape, defining transitional service agreements, developing detailed plans, and supporting the implementation.
- Lead the HR/Organisational Design workstream in integrations and separations within a larger team of Integration & Separation colleagues, working and supporting the client workstream leads.
- Facilitation and leading key client workshops and meetings.
- Lead identification or review of client synergies for people and the wider organisation design.
- Interacting with senior client stakeholders as well as internal stakeholders.
- Responsibility for ensuring engagement management protocols are followed and kept up to date including quality and risk management.
- When not working on a project, provide support to a number of different aspects such as preparation of proposal materials, development of propositions etc.
- Given the nature of this role, ability to travel to meet client requirements is a must.
Skills, qualifications and experience required
Working in a consulting firm and/or industry role within HR, leading and delivering M&A projects including:
- Planning to implementation of integration and/or separation People-related workstreams including organisational design, people transition, culture and employee experience
- HR due diligence (buy and sell side) to identify risks and understand value related items which need to be incorporated into the deal documentation and price
- HR processes and employment law aspects such as TUPE transfers, restructuring and redundancy, union negotiation and workers agreements globally.
- Financial analysis of deals from a people/organisational cost and synergy perspective.
- Employee Engagement including day one communications & culture
- Organisational design and strategic/financial options for organisations or functions.
- Leading and facilitation of client meetings, workshops and interviews.
- Team management including experience in development and growth of teams
- Leading, scoping and delivering client proposals and pitches
- Programme management experience and track record of successful delivery of projects.
- Comfort with ambiguity, fluid consulting situations and a highly pressured environment.
- Fluency in a European language would be beneficial.
To apply or for further information, please click the apply button on Changeboard.