We are currently recruiting for a Talent & Development Manager to join our Human Resources team in the London office.
The central Talent & Development (T&D) team provides learning and development for all staff globally through training programmes and other development support. T&D supports the business in developing our talent and delivers business skills and personal development training for partners, associates and support staff. We design and plan the overall delivery of training and work closely with the Training Events team to ensure the smooth set up and running of each programme.
The T&D team sits within HR and is a small central team based in London, currently consisting of a head, five senior managers and one manager. The job holder reports to the senior manager with overall responsibility for associate development and does not manage direct reports but works closely with members of the Training Events team. The vacancy has arisen due to the existing manager deciding to move to another role.
The role is varied, rewarding and challenging, with access to high level information and influence / input.
The specific populations and programmes that the job holder is responsible for is subject to change over time as priorities evolve and work split is agreed between the team. At the current time, the planned main focus is on trainees and associates and supporting other members of the team on facilitation, delivery and observations. The firm is continually reviewing its T&D offering and part of your role will be initiate reviews and refreshes of the programmes that we currently have and/or that we should have, for example moving towards a more blended learning approach using e-learning tools.
The role involves advising colleagues about the programmes and development issues more generally and working closely with the business on bespoke learning required which falls outside of the standard programmes and learning. There is also ad-hoc and project work to contribute to and responsibility for reporting.
- To work closely with the business to define training needs and the content of core programmes and to propose and agree overall approach to support development globally. Key stakeholders include:
- Partner faculty members
- HR colleagues globally
- To project manage the delivery of programmes, managing the relationship with relevant members of the Training Events team to ensure the effective organisation, delivery and follow up of all programmes
- To ensure that programmes have defined learning objectives, that the style and structure of sessions and the flow of learning appropriately meets these, that programmes employ up to date and effective techniques including e-learning and that a blended approach maximises learning
- To design and deliver selected programmes and sessions
- To build and manage relationships across the global network with key stakeholders and line colleagues to ensure that needs are understood and to cover key information on learning, programmes and new developments. This is to build understanding of how learning supports development in a broader context and ensure training is delivering high quality skill development
- To add to, refresh and update learning as necessary to ensure continuous improvement and to reflect changing priorities and in response to feedback
- To identify and select training providers who have expertise that meets the particular requirements of a programme(s). To manage our ongoing relationships with training providers to ensure they are providing the highest quality of training
- To work with internal experts to develop content and/or run sessions on programmes
- To create and maintain key documents, frameworks, materials and intranet sites as required. To manage key systems, intranet and databases that support consistent global standards of delivery of training and compliance
- To deliver value for money on all programmes – and set and manage the budget to achieve this. To match demand to supply and ensure the appropriate number of programmes are delivered where and when required
- To work closely with the business on bespoke learning needs for specific groups of people, teams, departments or office, often with a need to handle sensitive and confidential information.
- To design and deliver workshops on a bespoke/ad-hoc basis, for example around performance management.
- To present to management teams or departments on current initiatives or deliver best practice, for example embedding learning tools
- To facilitate and/or observe on various programmes
- To play an active part of the global coaching capability, advising on best practice, external coach referrals and undertaking coaching as and when required
- To advise on team or department off-sites with regard to any learning objectives, advising on design, external expertise and related costs
Candidates must have previous T&D experience and a track record of working to design and implement successful development programmes and be experienced in delivering skills training programmes. Of particular interest is experience within the professional services sector (including law firms). Candidates need to be client focused and demonstrate understanding of the business context including aligning training to business priorities and strategy. They need to be credible with senior management and adept at managing a range of stakeholders.
Required experience includes
- Designing and implementing skills programmes and implementing changes to existing programmes
- Experienced trainer and facilitator who can deliver a range of skills programmes / sessions to support staff and associates
- Working at all levels within the organisation and managing different expectations
- Negotiation and influencing skills, good communicator
- Ability to build credibility and have impact at a senior level
- Attention to detail
- Managing several different projects at any one time
- Experience of presenting to and facilitating groups
- Ideally trained to use psychometrics such as MBTI
- Build strong relationships internally and with external providers
Additional information - External
Allen & Overy is a leading global law firm operating in over thirty countries. By turning our insight, technology and talent into ground-breaking solutions, we’ve earned a place at the forefront of our industry. Our lawyers are leaders in their field – and the same goes for our support teams. Ambitious, driven and open to fresh perspectives, we find innovative new ways to deliver our services and maintain our reputation for excellence, in all that we do.
The nature of law is changing and with that change brings unique opportunities. With our collaborative working culture, flexibility, and a commitment to your progress, we build rewarding careers. By joining our global team, you are supported by colleagues from around the world. If you’re ready for a new challenge, it’s time to seize the opportunity.
More search results
HR Business Partner, Performance Assessment
Human Resources - People Director
The Finsbury Group Ltd.
Human Resources Business Partner - Hotel Services
Cleveland Clinic London
Interim Senior HRBP – Financial Services
Human Resources Business Partner - Nursing
Cleveland Clinic London