Diversity and Inclusion Officer
- Trowers & Hamlins
- London or Birmingham
- Job Level
- Adviser / Executive / Officer
- Legal, Professional Services
- Contract type
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
We are currently recruiting for a Diversity and Inclusion Officer to join our successful HR department in the London or Birmingham office. Diversity and Inclusion is one of the firm's key priorities, with a focus on the need to ensure diversity through the firm, from entry level to partnership. This role will work closely with the HR department and Diversity Committee and Diversity Network chairs and members to implement the firm's diversity strategy; promoting and driving internal engagement with diversity initiatives via TrowersIncludes and raising the firm's external profile as a market leader in our approach to diversity and inclusion.
No agencies please.
- Contribute actively to the delivery of firm wide diversity and inclusion initiatives and objectives.
- Keep up to date in key diversity and inclusion developments, updating the firm and our policies/initiatives accordingly.
- Undertake regular monitoring and data analysis and measure progress against key deliverables.
- Support the diversity network groups across the firm, acting as a consultant to those groups to deliver objectives.
- Co-ordinate and promote the TrowersIncludes programme of events, working with the Marketing department as appropriate.
- Manage links between the networks, across regions and with other relevant parties e.g. Marketing, Operations, Information & Knowledge Management, CSR Committee etc.
- Provide diversity and inclusion data as required from the marketing department to support bids and tenders;
- Work with Marketing to develop internal communications around TrowersIncludes as a brand and managing how that is delivered;
- Work closely with the Learning & Development and Marketing teams to support the development of diversity and inclusion training;
- Support the firm's partnerships with external organisations focussed on improving the diversity of the talent pipeline e.g. Aspiring Solicitors.
- Analyse and monitor internal promotion and retention data;
- Manage the firm's statutory reporting duties and lead on award submissions and benchmarking exercises, including Stonewall's Workplace Equality Index;
- Attend bi-monthly Diversity Committee and individual network meetings, take minutes / action lists and co-ordinate action points;
- Represent the firm as required within external legal sector and other relevant sectors, and/or diversity and inclusion networks, meetings or events;
- Ability to inspire and motivate the promotion of diversity and initiatives within the firm
- Drive and enthusiasm, with a demonstrable interest in and passion for increasing diversity and inclusion in the workplace and across the sectors in which we operate;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal;
- Responsive and pro-active self starter, able to work independently;
- Knowledge of diversity and inclusion best practice;
- Approachable and able to quickly build relationships at all levels;
- Creative mind with ability to deliver innovative and inspiring ideas for events and diversity initiatives and to proactively enable their implementation ;
- Ability and willingness to develop an understanding of the legal sector (if no previous legal sector experience)
- Strong sense of confidentiality, discretion and understanding of individuals within minority groups,.
- Willingness to travel to other UK offices and to external venues as required to support and run diversity and inclusion events;
Experience and qualifications:
- We anticipate the individual will be educated to first degree level or equivalent but it is not a requirement;;
- Experience working in diversity and inclusion preferably within a corporate/professional sector;
- Good understanding of social media and digital communication tools would be advantageous
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. All applications will only be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role.