HR Business Partner – UK & Nordic
Job Title: HR Business Partner – UK & Nordic
Reports to: Director – People
Contract: 18-24 months
Start Date: ASAP
EIT Climate-KIC (Knowledge and Innovation Community) is the EU’s largest public-private partnership addressing climate change through innovation. Our community consists of over 250 leading partners from business, academia, the public sector and NGOs. Our purpose is to help create a prosperous, inclusive, climate resilient society founded on a circular, zero-carbon economy.
We focus on levers of systemic change, looking for where innovation is most needed to accelerate deep decarbonisation (elimination of fossil fuels and negative carbon) and effective adaptation. EIT Climate-KIC is predominantly grant-funded by the European Institute for Innovation and Technology, a body of the European Union and acts as a platform to work across boundaries and across sectors, fostering innovation as a catalyst for transformation.
• provide funding,
• facilitate the creation of innovation consortia,
• work together with our partners to take a portfolio approach to innovation options,
• challenge and seek to enrich business model design,
• offer tailored support for experimentation, implementation and scaling, and
• incubate very early stage ideation and pre-seed innovation.
To make ourselves accessible to key actors and ‘challenge owners’, we work along four priority themes: urban transitions, sustainable land use, sustainable production systems, and decision metrics and climate finance. In all four areas, we place an emphasis on entrepreneurship and innovation design, on education as a driver of behavioural change through new skills and capabilities and on policy innovation. We run programmes for students, start-ups and innovators across Europe via centres in major cities and regions, convening a community of excellence in people and organisations.
We balance strategic innovation, aimed at renewing core business models, with a significant portfolio of bottom-up innovation – e.g. through our start-up accelerators – to learn, evaluate and continuously adjust our efforts to impact climate change. Ultimately, we aim to become a leader in systemic innovation that contributes to a paradigm shift from a linear, industrial production system to a circular, regenerative model, leveraging the power of our unique community of innovators and inspiring change beyond it.
Purpose of the Role
Climate-KIC’s People function works to deliver the skilled, flexible and motivated workforce our organisation needs in order to realise its mission. We strive to enhance capability and capacity across the business, and to drive and champion positive, value-adding change. We support company operations in 12 European nations, and the scope of our function has broadened following a period of significant growth.
As HR Business Partner you will hold responsibility for the provision of effective and professional people services across Climate-KIC’s offices in the UK & Ireland and Nordic regions. You will work across the full spectrum of HR activities, providing strategic and operational support to senior stakeholders across the employee life cycle – with a particular focus on management and talent development – while driving forward the broader People team agenda and ensuring best practice across all areas.
Working closely with the Director – People, you will also play an instrumental role in supporting key organisational development projects including the implementation of a new organisation design and review of group benefits in 2019. Such company-level projects are expected to make up 30-40% of the role, with 60-70% of your time being spent on business partnering activities and the delivery of people services.
This role is a unique opportunity for an experienced and talented HR professional to make an impact in a dynamic, pan-European organisation addressing one of the most important and pressing problems of our time. You will connect with a wide range of fascinating, talented and driven professionals in a multi-disciplinary, action-oriented environment. This is an exciting, promising and crucial time to be part of the fight against climate change.
• Deliver a fast and effective HR advice and support service to stakeholders in Climate-KIC’s UK & Ireland and Nordic regions, serving as first point of contact for HR matters and ensuring operational excellence across all aspects of your work
• Build trusted relationships with senior stakeholders and leaders in each region
• Quickly develop a contextual understanding of gaps, challenges, opportunities and people priorities in each office/team and deliver impactful HR solutions
• Coach, guide and support managers with the management of their talent, developing strong leadership competencies and high-performing, flexible teams
• Provide proactive support for the organisational redesign, supporting senior management with consultation and change management planning and communications (with the support of the Internal Communications and Engagement Manager)
• Deliver strategic support throughout recruitment processes, ensuring strong talent attraction, an excellent candidate experience and sound hiring decisions. Operational aspects may include shortlisting applications, facilitating interviews, benchmarking salaries, making and concluding offers
• Lead Climate-KIC’s group benefits review and end of year reward processes
• In collaboration with the Learning & Development team and with the support of our community of Office Managers, work to ensure a first-class people onboarding process across Climate-KIC
• Advise colleagues and managers on relevant company policies and practices and assist with the development and implementation of new polices
• Lead / support the People team with a range of discrete projects and initiatives, acting as a positive change agent and securing across-the-board buy-in from stakeholders
• Prepare people data and strategic recommendations for the attention of the Director – People as and when required
• Any other reasonable tasks as requested
Key Working Relationships
• Director - People
• Climate-KIC Executive Team (including CEO, Geography and Theme Directors)
• Regional Innovation, Education and Entrepreneurship Leads
• People team colleagues
• Geographic Office and Finance Managers
• Central Finance team
• Central IT team
• Legal team
• Relevant and extensive previous experience (5-10 years as an indicator) in strategic HR roles
• Demonstrable ability to deliver results in fast-paced international organisations (with experience of working in matrix environments)
• An HR generalist with experience spanning across reward, resourcing, talent management, learning and development and employee relations
• Strategic thinker with ability to work closely with senior leaders to deliver and implement new programmes and initiatives
• Influential communicator and coach with an ability to build leadership capacity and shape behaviours
• Knowledge of European employment law and practice (with relevant exposure to UK and Nordic environments)
• Ability to prioritise a busy workload effectively and deliver work to deadlines
• Perceptive and innovative – able to identify and exploit value-adding opportunities
• Personable and approachable
• Proactive, adaptable and resilient
• Culturally aware and positive about diversity
• Enthusiastic about people and committed to own professional development
Climate-KIC values diversity and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates regardless of age, gender, race, disability, sexual orientation, religion or ethnic background.
Your application should consist of a full curriculum vitae and a covering letter describing concisely how your profile, skills and experience meet the criteria outlined in the person specification, and outlining your interest in and vision for the role.