Graduate Recruitment & Development Manager
- Trowers & Hamlins
- Birmingham or London
- Learning & Development, Recruitment & Resourcing
- Job Level
- Legal, Professional Services
- Contract type
Trowers & Hamlins is a City-led, international and national law firm with over 130 partners and 830 staff. With offices across the UK, Middle East and Far East, we provide a full-service integrated offering.
Our clients operate in diverse industry sectors such as construction, transport and infrastructure, banking and financial services, distribution and logistics, education and health, hotels and leisure, defence, engineering and surveying, charities, retail and energy and natural resources. We also act for many high net worth individuals.
We are different and we believe it is our people that make us unique. We expect and respect that you and your talents are too. The truth is we don't prescribe who you are or how you ought to be. It's what you can do that interests us most.
While the work on offer is rewarding and often complex, the qualities we look for are simple. The ability to get on with people from all walks of life, for example. To talk and to listen. To develop the sorts of relationships that mean you win the friendship and loyalty of clients and colleagues alike. In short, to connect. These are the characteristics our people all have in common. They are vital, as is the drive and imagination to use your unique talents to the full. We will help you in this. In fact, we will support you in every way we can.
The firm's graduate recruitment and development team is based in London and forms part of a larger national and international HR department. The team is made up of two individuals – the incoming successful candidate and a Graduate Recruitment & Development Officer.
The primary purpose of this role is to play an integral part in attracting and recruiting high-calibre trainee solicitors for the firm, and assisting with the effective operation of the two-year training and development programme.
- Project management of the firm's national summer vacation schemes, autumn training contract assessment centres, winter open days, and law fairs and career presentations programme (this may involve weekly travel during busy term-time periods).
- Ensuring the recruitment of graduate talent nationally as required to manage the firm's trainee solicitor pipeline. This will see the successful candidate play an integral part in operating our assessment centres; candidate interviewing process; generation of offers; and provision of constructive feedback to all candidates.
- Attending various social events organised by the Graduate Recruitment & Development Officer for our future trainees and London summer vacation scheme candidates.
- Overseeing the annual operation of our online graduate recruitment application system (Apply4Law), and producing reports as and when required to track statistics relating to equality and diversity, marketing, etc.
- Working closely with our Marketing team in the design and implementation of our graduate attraction materials, including our annual graduate recruitment campaign and finalised profile to be used in external publications such as LawCareers.Net, Chambers Student Guide, etc.
- Continuing to enhance existing relationships with key stakeholders that have an integral interest in the graduate recruitment and development function (i.e. Trainee Solicitors' Committee); other business service functions; and relevant external contacts.
- Participating in sponsorship activities that the successful candidate deems beneficial for the firm's graduate recruitment attraction strategy.
- Overseeing payments due to various parties in line with our annual activities (to be administered by the Graduate Recruitment & Development Officer) and managing / monitoring this with our financial year budget allocations.
- Build upon our existing strengths in the arena of diversity and social mobility at graduate recruitment level
- Overseeing the successful production and implementation of our on-boarding process for each new trainee intake by the Graduate Recruitment & Development Officer.
- Supervising the mid-seat discussion process with our trainee solicitors and facilitating the end-of-seat discussion process with the Trainee Solicitors' Committee.
- Management of the twice-yearly trainee seat-rotation process nationally and internationally, which will see the successful candidate interacting closely with all departments and trainee solicitors.
- Maintaining accurate records of key information relating to aspects such as trainee seat changes; make-up of intakes; future trainee whereabouts; and so on.
- Overseeing the circulation by the Graduate Recruitment & Development Officer of key information relating to our Professional Skills Courses (both compulsories and electives) and ensuring attendance of our trainee solicitors to these events.
- Managing the trainees' mid-seat and end-of-seat appraisal process, reviewing all finalised documentation to have an overview of the development of each trainee solicitors and safe record-keeping.
- Effective management of the firm's qualification process every six months, working closely with the Training Principal on this front.
- Overseeing SRA-required processes in conjunction with the Graduate Recruitment & Development Officer, such as the registration of training contracts; processing DBS forms and AD1 forms for our internal qualifiers; and so on.
- Being a key member of the Trainee Solicitors Committee and facilitating three meetings a year to keep the Partners informed of developments on the function's part.
- Overseeing certain CSR initiatives facilitated by the Graduate Recruitment & Development Officer.
- Great attention to detail, including good use of grammar and numeracy
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written
- Excellent time-management and organisational skills
- A strong team leader and player
- Commitment and flexibility
- An ability to operate autonomously and / or with minimum supervision
- Excellent organisational skills, with the ability to prioritise work effectively and meet deadlines
- Strength of character and robustness
- Ability to gain credibility and raise profile (internally and externally)
- Personable and approachable style in order to build relationships at all levels
- The ability to multi-task and be effective under pressure
- Proven ability to deal with confidential matters with discretion
- Effective advisory and counselling skills
- Demonstrable good working knowledge of Microsoft Office packages (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Strong experience of working in a client-facing, professional services environment
- Effective knowledge of the graduate market place / higher education landscape
- Previous solid graduate recruitment and trainee development experience
As part of our firm recruitment policy our candidates are subject to employment screening background checks. These checks include personal details, education and employment history, professional qualifications and credit and criminal checks as appropriate.
Trowers & Hamlins is an equal opportunities employer and we welcome applications from every sector of the community. All applications will only be considered on merit and the applicant's suitability to meet the requirements of the role.