Head of Diversity & Inclusion
Dentons is always looking to invest in the highest-quality talent, recognising that our success is built on the diverse and unique strengths of each of the members of our Firm.
Dentons is the world's largest law firm, delivering quality and value to clients around the globe. Dentons is a leader on the Acritas Global Elite Brand Index, a BTI Client Service 30 Award winner and recognized by prominent business and legal publications for its innovations in client service, including founding Nextlaw Labs and the Nextlaw Global Referral Network. Dentons' polycentric approach and world-class talent challenge the status quo to advance client interests in the communities in which we live and work. www.dentons.com.
Purpose of role
The role holder is responsible driving a Diversity & Inclusion (D&) strategy for the UK & ME region that helps attract, retain and develop diverse talent.
The successful candidate will have a high profile within the firm and be seen as the subject matter expert in this area. They will be the key point of contact for all D&I matters and provide insight to the HR Director, CEO and MD to drive things forward.
The role holder will ensure the Dentons brand as a high profile in the legal and professional services market for the work we are doing to support D&I.
He or she will have exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to network effectively, build relationships within the firm and the ability to influence change. They will be a strong team player who will work with their HR colleagues to ensure D&I is embedded in our processes and activities. In particular Recruitment and Learning & Development (L&D).
They will have a proven & successful track record of driving D&I within professional services (ideally within a Partnership environment).
Keys to Success
Exceptional interpersonal skills – presenting, networking, influencing
Exceptional organisation skills
Strong insight in all areas of D&I
Ability to network and bring insight and learnings back to the firm
Self confidence and gravitas to have credibility in dealing with senior stakeholders
Exceptional written communication skills
- Work the HR Director, CEO and MD to create a D&I strategy for the firm
- Collaborate with leadership, HR team and network chairs, to develop and execute D&I plans, ensuring that diversity and inclusion remain a core value and key firm imperative
- Drive forward agreed actions from the overall plan
- Agree and deliver a communication plan to support the strategy, in line with firm wide communications plan
- Ensure the strategy/plans are reviewed and updated on a regular basis
- Ensure D&I is woven into all our people processes
- Partner with the BD/Marketing team to create standard D&I communications for clients
- Ensure we are educating the business on the behaviours we expect to support a tolerant and inclusive firm
- Ensure our recruitment activities are focused on reaching a diverse candidate pool (LGBT, ethnicity, disability and social inclusion)
- Represent UK & ME on the Global Diversity Committee
- Maintain and report the firm's diversity statistics internally and externally
- Leverage relationships with external organisations, including reviewing requests and making recommendations for sponsorships and firm contributions
- Oversee all diversity related surveys
- Manage the D&I budget
- Support the work being done by the firm's women's network, "Inspire".
- Drive comprehensive programme to ensure the gender target of 30% by 2020 is achieved.
- Work with Head of L&D to ensure all L&D programmes have a gender balance and content to support D&I.
- Ensure we aligned with market approaches to agile working to support working families.
- Identify and introduce programmes to support gender diversity.
- Manage the 30% club mentoring programme within the firm.
- Be a key regional point of contact for the global roles to drive advancement of Women in the firm and support any initiatives they are driving forward.
- Support the work being done by GLOW Network.
- Ensure our HR processes are compliant with best practice in this area.
- Support the completion of the Stonewall Top 100 survey.
- Support the work being driven by the Black Professionals Network.
- Create opportunities to build alliances with external organisations to open up law as a career for young black people.
- Support the work being driven by the Asian Professionals Network.
- Create opportunities to build alliances with external organisations to open up law as a career from a wide range of social backgrounds.
- Continue to evolve the Legal Apprenticeship scheme within the firm.
Health & Wellbeing
- Continue to build in the "My Healthy Balance" programme to ensure we retain momentum.
- Look at new opportunities to drive Health & Wellbeing within Dentons.
Required experience, skills and attributes
Qualifications & Experience
- Ideally at least 5 years' experience a D&I role or HR role, where this was a key element in a professional, legal or corporate setting
- Degree level qualification or equivalent
- Ability to work well under pressure, with proven time management skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities in a dynamic environment and organize complex information
- Ability to work across different functions and build relationships with stakeholders
- Ability to clearly articulate and reinforce diversity and inclusion strategy and the firm's business case for diversity
- Forward-thinking, detailed-oriented, personable, excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills
- Ability to demonstrate awareness and understanding of all aspects of diversity: cultural, ethnic, racial, religious, gender, age, sexual orientation etc.
- Strong professional, independent thinking skills with strength in problem solving and the ability to offer constructive and creative solutions
- A team player who can motivate and educates others is able to create and motivate behavioral change.
- Solutions orientated
- Collegiate and collaborative
We are a truly global law firm and as such, always welcome hearing from those with foreign language capabilities.
Dentons is committed to providing equal opportunities for all. We welcome applications from candidates with disabilities and support those in the workplace who have a disability. Any disability disclosure will be dealt with confidentially and sensitively and if you want to speak directly to a member of our team, please contact email@example.com