Head of HR & Development
- £48,390 to £51,452 per annum + bens
- HR Business Partner, HR Manager, Learning & Development, Head of HR
- Job Level
- Director / Head / VP
- Contract type
Saving More Lives is our overarching vision for the future direction of the Fire Service. It guides everything they want to achieve as a vital and trusted organisation working for the communities of Herefordshire and Worcestershire. Saving More Lives is about doing more towards improving the lives of everyone in the community. It is about finding ways to add more value through its own work and through the work of partners in other services such as health and social care.
The People Strategy is a statement of HWFRS intent to support and develop every member of our workforce throughout their employment with HWFRS. It is a key pillar of the Saving More Lives vision. To support the delivery of this, an exciting new opportunity has arisen within Corporate Services, for a Head of HR and Development, to work in collaboration with the HWFRS leadership team to help shape the future direction and capability of the organisation.
In this important role you will develop and implement plans that support HWFRS’s strategies and performance objectives as well as developing and managing the people and infrastructure that will ensure the provision of an modern day, effective HR service.
As an HR practitioner, with a breadth of capabilities, you will lead your team to establish best practice policies and procedures in everything, from performance development and succession planning, to employee relations and organisational change. Recruiting, retaining and developing talent is vital to our future and you will have a critical role to play in ensuring that activities and initiatives are in place to enable this to happen.
With a strong presence and excellent interpersonal skills, you’ll inspire confidence and instill trust. You will develop strong professional working relationships with our senior team and are committed to achieving the best outcomes for our people. You will be comfortable advising and informing senior leaders to support achievement of the organisational goals.
Key Requirements & Experience
To be considered, you will need to have:
- Generalist HR practitioner experience and technical knowledge in:
- Employee relations
- Strategic resourcing
- Talent and succession management
- Provided strategic HR leadership support
- A strong track record of developing and implementing policy, experienced in implementing HR strategy.
- Experience and understanding of current UK employment law and best practice
- Experience of providing strategic advice and guidance to Board members on key risk areas with solutions to manage and mitigate against relevant risks
- Experience in supporting, coaching and influencing senior leaders
- Experience of leading an HR function or team
- Experience and knowledge of managing payroll
- Experience of negotiating at senior level with Trade Unions
Skills and abilities
The applicant must demonstrate:
- Leadership skills including coaching and change management
- Interpersonal skills including the ability to influence, persuade, challenge, negotiate and engage with a wide range of people, individually and collectively
- Evidence of effective organisational skills including the ability to plan and prioritise
- Evidence of a strong customer relationship ethos
- Evidence of the ability to manage and motivate a team to deliver service excellence against specified indicators and metrics
- Evidence of the ability to meet tight, conflicting deadlines
- Proficient IT skills
- Evidence of the ability to adopt a positive approach and commitment to lifelong learning on a corporate and personal level
- MCIPD or FCIPD qualification
- Degree or equivalent in a relevant business related field
- Applicants for this role will be required to be vetted to NPPV Level 3
- Salary range: £48,390 to £51,452 per annum
- Flexible working practices.
- 28 days annual leave, rising to 33 after 5 years, plus Bank Holidays.
- Local government pension scheme.
HWFRS is fully committed to meeting its duties under the Equality Act 2010. We value equality of opportunity and developing a workforce that reflects the diversity of our community. We encourage everyone who has the necessary skills and experience to apply.
If you would like any further information about the role, or wish to apply, please email Andrew Kirby-Pugh with your CV via the Apply tab here on Changeboard for a candidate pack.
Closing date for applications is 17:00hrs on Monday 15th October 2018.
Please quote HWFRS02 on your communication and application.