- Gowling WLG
- Recruitment & Resourcing
- Job Level
- Adviser / Executive / Officer
- Legal, Professional Services
- Contract type
About Gowling WLG
We have more than 1,400 legal professionals working around the world. Our offices span across 19 cities in Canada, the UK, Continental Europe, Asia and the Middle East. There's strength in our global presence – we embrace our differing cultures and work together as one team. We also understand the importance of investing in relationships that build knowledge and trust, while we provide legal advice that's tailored to our clients' world.
'Our people and distinct culture are what makes us different. We know this through client and employee feedback and this drives everything we do'' Chris Oglethorpe, HR Director.
There are great opportunities for all our people to flourish. Through training and personal development they can grow in their role. Our people are the cornerstone of our success, across legal, business support and early talent. We care about their happiness and believe in the power of teamwork. We want them to feel empowered and recognise that by supporting, respecting and embracing everyone's different contributions we achieve more.
Working flexibly, working fairly
Agile working offers people more freedom and flexibility in where, when, and how they work. As technology advances and our workforce becomes more diverse – and with clients often working to a 24/7 rhythm – having extra flexibility is key to helping us balance work and other commitments sensibly and productively.
By supporting people to choose where and when they get their work done, we help them to make a full and fair contribution to their team – while maintaining that all important work-life balance.
Where possible and depending on business needs, we will consider all flexible working options such as part-time working, job sharing, working from home and staggered hours. If in considering a role with Gowling WLG you favour flexibility in your working arrangements, please discuss this with the recruitment team in the early stages of the application process.
About the Team
Our business services teams are vital in helping our business to be the best it can be.
We're a diverse HR team, proud of the fact that we all bring something different through a range of expertise and experience in advisory, reward & benefits, resourcing, learning & development and HR operations.
We are a collaborative group and highly value the power of teamwork needed to deliver the people and talent strategy, a critical part of the wider firm's vision – "Famous for our client experience, outstanding people and creative energy."
We drive the people and talent agenda through our business partnering model, which includes supporting the business in delivering and managing change management projects, promoting a high performance culture, and investing in the development of our people.
Our resourcing team have implemented some hugely successful changes over the past few years, and now directly source over 60% of all of the firm's hires, using a range of technology and networking. Along with launching our award winning careers website in 2017, we have introduced a firm wide apprenticeship scheme to complement our graduate scheme and most recently gamification to our early talent selection process. We operate as a partnership with our key business stakeholders to understand their needs, and attract and land the very best talent for the future across legal and business services teams.
Find out more at gowlingwlgcareers.co.uk
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Design and deliver innovative sourcing strategies and solutions to meet the recruitment needs of the business, predominantly within the legal teams, and ranging from support roles to senior lawyers.
- Deliver on key recruitment objectives to identify directly sourced permanent and temporary candidates across a range of sectors, using LinkedIn recruiter licence along with other online tools to reduce agency spend and time to hire.
- Manage key agency relationships, ensuring a first class service from our key suppliers that are relevant and add value to our direct sourcing activities.
- Deliver a consultative service to senior legal team leaders, advising on sourcing strategies and in-depth market /competitor activity in the legal and professional services arena. Develop exceptionally strong relationships with all hiring managers, gaining insight into their individual future needs, and support them with screening and selection expertise.
- Provide insight and ideas to maximise online advertising, and actively manage and promote social media platforms to identify and approach passive talent and build networks of potential candidates.
- Ensure all candidates have a first class candidate experience, with timely interviews, regular communication and constructive feedback.
- Fully engage and be prepared to lead on elements of project work for the Resourcing team, inputting to system and process reviews and enhancements, employer branding and other ad-hoc initiatives
Key skills and experience
- Have an in-depth knowledge and understanding of the legal/professional services market place, and be able to identify, across a complex matrix organisation, advanced attraction strategies to meet requirements.
- Have a proven track record of delivering senior legal/professional services recruits through direct sourcing methods, and operate comfortably within those networks.
- Be effective in your approach to candidates and agencies, understanding the latest attraction methodology and using key metrics to measure success.
- Be confident and competent at using social media across multiple platforms, driving relevant content alongside communication and marketing colleagues to attract talent.
- Be an effective change agent, able to influence and educate hiring managers in all recruitment related activity.
- Be able to communicate articulately, professionally and responsively at all levels and demonstrate high levels of customer service.
- Be resilient in the face of often multiple demands.
- Understand the return on investment of attraction strategies and look to reduce the key spend where possible.
- Be a strong collaborator, working flexibly and efficiently within the wider team.
- Have a good grasp of financial management, budgets, KPI's and the ability to demonstrate added value.
Experience – You will:
- Be a seasoned recruiter, and used to working with and influencing senior stakeholders, and motivated by results.
- Have an extensive track record of developing effective recruitment strategies that deliver results in a cost-effective manner.
- Be comfortable in using technology, from ATS through to digital attraction via LinkedIn and social media platforms.
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion or belief, age, disability, sexual orientation, sex, gender re-assignment and gender identity, marriage and civil partnership, and pregnancy, maternity and paternity. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.
At Gowling WLG we seek to attract and retain talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds and cultures, to create an exciting and rewarding place to work. Our aim is to fulfil everyone's potential and together to achieve personal and business goals.