An exciting opportunity for a Head of HR for a private school based in Newbury
Your new role
Develop and lead on the delivery of the HR and People Strategy for the organisation in line with its values and principles. Lead and manage the HR & Payroll functions to provide full, professional, efficient and effective support to the organisation. Reporting to the Principal/CEO provide effective HR management, leading initiatives as agreed
Develop and implement an annual HR Strategy in line with the school development plan/organisation strategy and in accordance with current & emerging employment legislation and appropriate National Agreements.
- Ensure HR plans support the needs of the organisation in its component parts whilst remaining flexible enough to cope with changes within the organisation
- Provide regular MI reports on staff turnover, absences, training etc.
- Working with senior line managers ensure job descriptions are up to date
- Coordinate the Annual Salary Review processes with senior management and implement effectively
- Coordinate all ad hoc pay proposals ensuring compliance with pay policy and internal approvals
- Manage staff in the HR and Payroll departments
- Conduct Occupational health referrals and undertake support and welfare meetings with employees
- Operate Payroll in line with statutory requirements, liaising with the Finance director as required.
- Ensure payroll protocols and checks are routinely undertaken to ensure compliance and accuracy in processing all aspects of eg. salaries, overtime, sick pay, maternity/paternity leave etc
- Write, update and implement all HR policy & processes in line with employment law and ensure timely staff communications as appropriate.
- Ensure the organisation is compliant with all UK employment legislation and identify areas of non-compliance, working with appropriate senior management to resolve.
- Advise & guide line manager in handling employee relations matters, including managing absence, disciplinaries, grievances and sickness. Lead on such case work as appropriate.
- Working with senior managers; coach and advise on all people management issues
- Promote good practice amongst line management and staff in undertaking the performance mgt process. Review practices and quality, identifying areas for attention eg training, guidance etc.
- Facilitate the provision of training, development and coaching for staff as identified through the performance management process
Reward & Recognition:
- Manage the payroll process, liaising with FD to ensure statutory compliance and reporting
- Review salary structures where necessary eg impact of NLW, need for progression schemes, historic anomalies, etc
- Undertake periodic review of all benefits to ensure appropriate and compliant (i.e. childcare vouchers/cycle scheme)
Motivation & Retention:
- Review & measure employee satisfaction (i.e. staff survey)
- Identify areas that require improvement and propose actions and/or initiatives, implementing as agreed
Career & Succession Planning:
- Develop and implement succession planning for all areas below the senior team.
Recruitment, Assessment, Selection and Induction:
- Provide advice & support to Senior Managers on recruitment, assessment and selection processes. Ensure practices are legally complaint at all times.
- Coordinate the appointment process for successful applicants.
- Develop and lead an effective induction process for new employees
- Assist with departmental inductions where necessary
Learning & Development:
- In discussion with senior management, identify learning and development priorities, research and recommend interventions to meet the need.
What you'll need to succeed
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Must be CIPD level 5 (minimum)
- Excellent knowledge of employment law and case law, ideally within the education sector
- Sound knowledge of best practice in managing employment issues e.g. absence management, disciplinary & grievance etc.
- Robust experience in developing & implementing Policies and processes.
- Proven experience in directing HR and advising managers on all aspects of people management, law, training and development
- Proven experience in working effectively with senior management
- Excellent and sensitive communication skills at all levels
- Tact and diplomacy with the ability to deal with difficult situations
- Ability to build rapport quickly, especially with senior management
- Maintain confidentiality on sensitive and confidential information
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Excellent organisational skills
- Ability to write and present information
- Excellent attention to detail
- Demonstrates passion - approaches all tasks in an enthusiastic way. Committed to upholding professional standards
- Effective communication skills - handles complex and difficult situations with thought and confidence
- Ability to explain detailed legal information to staff in a straightforward way
- Takes a broad interest in the success and development of the organisation and the human resource function as a whole
- Able to work to deadlines and adapt to changing conditions
- ability to generate effective and pragmatic solutions to new situations and problems as they are presented
- Able to problem solve both operational and strategic issues with a pragmatic approach
What you need to do now
If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now.
If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career.