Skip to main content
Back to results
This job has expired
KPMG is part of a global network of firms that offers Audit, Tax & Pensions, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology services. Through the talent of over 16,000 colleagues, we bring our creativity and insight to our clients’ most critical challenges.
With offices across the UK, we work with everyone from small start-ups and individuals to major multinationals, in virtually every industry imaginable. Our work is often complex, yet our vision is simple: to be the clear choice for our clients, for our people and for the communities we work in.
Service Line Information
With a turnover in excess of £1.5 billion and a payroll of close to 16,000 partners and staff across UK offices, our Finance team covers a huge spectrum of work. It spans everything from being closely involved in supporting the organisation's business strategy to tightly managing critical business functions like employee payroll, expenses, accounts payable and billing.
Service Line Group
KPMG provides Audit, Tax and Advisory services to clients with these client-facing functions supported by a central function, KPMG Business Services (KBS). Within KBS, the firm has an established Procurement function resourced with qualified procurement professionals responsible for supporting the firm’s £450m+ expenditure on bought-in goods & services. The Procurement function‘s objectives are:
• To be regarded as an invaluable business partner by the firm’s Infrastructure functions and by the wider business functions (Audit, Tax, Advisory and Markets)
• To drive the continuous improvement of third-party goods & services and minimise the risks associated with commercial contracting activities through the application of best-practice procurement across the firm
• To support the business with technology investments to enable profitable revenue growth
• To offer rewarding development & career opportunities to all members of the Procurement function
Overview of the Position / Key Responsibilities:
Procurement’s sourcing activities are managed by six category teams; Facilities, HR & Professional Services, Technology, Marketing and Travel, S3 (Sustainability, Supplier Management and Systems), as well as a new Front Office Technology category (FOTC). Each category team is made up of category-specialist procurement professionals led by a Category Manager, each reporting to the UK Head of Procurement.
Technology spend overall for KPMG LLP is circa £90m per annum, (for KBS and FOTC spend). Whilst KBS Technology spend represents a large proportion of this, it is managed separately, this new FOTC category has both spend and revenue exposure as the services are directly associated to external KPMG client solutions.
The Strategic Sourcing Manager is responsible for supporting the Category Manager to maximise the contribution of the category to the firm, via active support of key stakeholders and budget-holders with responsibility for expenditure and supplier relationships.
Key responsibilities are:
• Ability to rapidly build and develop effective relationships with key internal stakeholders demonstrating a full understanding of their drivers & requirements, identifying and providing appropriate support & solutions
• Operate as a trusted business advisor and become accepted as an integral member of the internal client’s team
• Strong project management skills; ability to develop realistic, comprehensive sourcing timetables and ensure project deadlines are understood, roles and responsibilities clearly defined and communicated to stakeholder(s)
• Ability to work under pressure, managing conflicting requirements whilst meeting client expectations and retaining excellent client service levels.
• Ability to work as part of a team, contribute to the category agenda and support the Category Manager in pursuit of best practice category management
• Supporting the Category Manager to execute the category plan, including support of client projects (sourcing, contract renewals, extensions, variations, terminations and dispute resolution etc.) and delivery of savings (cost avoidance and reduction)
• Applying the firm’s independence & reciprocity policies, and application of the department’s standard processes, tools, templates & systems to all sourcing & contracting activities
• Appropriate consideration of CSR & diversity criteria in all sourcing & contracting activities and active participation in the firm’s Supplier Diversity & CSR Programme
• Identify opportunities to enhance contract management in collaboration with the Category Manager
• Experienced in sourcing and contracting cloud and SaaS based solutions and capable of identifying and mitigating associated organisational risks
• Seizes Business Opportunities
• Demonstrates Curiosity & Innovation
• Delivers Quality
• Exercises Professional Judgment
• Makes an Impact
Skills and Behaviours:
The Strategic Sourcing Manager is required to demonstrate the following Skills & Behaviours:
Delivering Quality Service
• Ability to manage multiple projects and stakeholder priorities, sometimes to aggressive timescales, whilst retaining high service quality.
• Willingness and flexibility in approach.
• Accommodating client preference whilst meeting key procurement principles (risk mitigation, value, service and quality)
• Full accountability for project outcomes and contribution to category savings targets
• Proven track-record of building & maintaining effective stakeholder relationships
• Ability to influence stakeholder thinking and to demonstrate procurement’s value add
Drive and Resilience
• Drive to sustain and maintain a professional and enthusiastic approach to work even when under duress.
• Willingness to work hard to meet demands, overcome obstacles and meet project deadlines
• Ability to analyse complex issues & challenges, evaluate options and make recommendations with clear supporting rationale
• Highly numerate; able to accurately interpret management information to undertake and present complex financial and other analyses
The role requires the following Technical Competencies:
Business Needs Analysis
Price & Cost Analysis
Policy & process
Contract Management & fulfilment
Supplier Financial analysis
Supplier collaboration & driving innovation
Supplier relationship management
• Broad procurement experience and service-centric approach
• A proven track-record of successfully delivering and/or contributing to the development & implementation of procurement solutions.
• Sound appreciation of the factors of sales and buy side relationships, using commercial acumen to consistently deliver positive outcomes for Stakeholders
• Holistic approach to coordinating the people, policies, processes etc. involved in delivery of new services to KPMG Clients
• Exposure to complex software licensing and services requirements, including newer technologies and Cloud.
• Familiarity with Information Protection and Risk Assurance
• Ability to prioritise work, determine and communicate a proposed project strategy often within short timescales, applying pragmatism to minimise or avoid impact to critical business timelines.
Qualifications and Experience:
• Degree qualified (or equivalent)
• Preferably a fully qualified member of applicable national Procurement institute (eg. CIPS, NEVI etc.)
• Experience in procurement or equivalent commercial roles, preferably with experience directly in Technology.
• Relevant industry experience; Professional or Financial Services
Recognising and Motivating you
If the chance to work with interesting clients and innovative technology wasn’t rewarding enough, we’ll motivate you in other ways too. At KPMG you can expect real responsibilities and opportunities to grow professionally.
‘Our Deal’ sets out all the different ways you’ll be rewarded at KPMG. Among other things you can benefit from honest conversations about your career as well as a range of other rewards. In all these ways and more, we have created an environment that can bring out the best in you.
While some of our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, we are supportive where possible of helping you to achieve a balance between your home and work demands.
We are happy to discuss individual requirements and our range of flexible working arrangements could be of interest. Furthermore, as part of the recruitment process, we can put you in touch with people who work flexibly so you can understand from them what our culture is like.
Applying with a disability
KPMG are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and we seek to attract and retain the best people from the widest possible talent pool. As a member of the Business Disability Forum we're committed to ensuring that you are treated fairly throughout our Recruitment Process. Should you be successful after the initial application stage, please discuss any reasonable adjustments that you may require, with your recruitment contact.
KPMG's commitment to diversity
KPMG consistently features in the Sunday Times Best Big Companies to work for, which has been recognised with a special achievement award to mark our 10 years in the Top 25. We are proud of the value we place on individuality; we want you to bring your full self to work and truly maximise your potential. We believe that your individuality helps us to deliver the best results for our clients. Diversity of background, diversity of experience, diversity of perspective - that's the KPMG difference. But, don't take our word for it, find out more about diversity at KPMG.
Returning to work after a break
At KPMG, we appreciate that returning to work after an extended career break can be daunting. We understand that those with experience who have taken a career break have a wealth of experience and knowledge to offer our organisation, which helps us to achieve our business goals. We will support you to refresh your skills, develop your confidence and provide a supportive network across the firm to help you best integrate into the working environment. This role welcomes applications for individuals who have been out of work for 18 months or more and who have previous relevant experience.
Policy for Agencies
KPMG has a commitment to sourcing candidates directly and as such we do not accept speculative CV’s from agencies. Please check here to see our policy on agencies: Policy
UK & Eire,
Recruitment & Resourcing
Department for Environment Food and Rural Affairs
Astrum HR Search & Selection Ltd