Skip to main content
Back to results
This job has expired
KPMG is part of a global network of firms that offers Audit, Tax & Pensions, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology services. Through the talent of over 16,000 colleagues, we bring our creativity and insight to our clients’ most critical challenges.
With offices across the UK, we work with everyone from small start-ups and individuals to major multinationals, in virtually every industry imaginable. Our work is often complex, yet our vision is simple: to be the clear choice for our clients, for our people and for the communities we work in.
Service Line Information
With a turnover in excess of £1.5 billion and a payroll of close to 16,000 partners and staff across UK offices, our Finance team covers a huge spectrum of work. It spans everything from being closely involved in supporting the organisation's business strategy to tightly managing critical business functions like employee payroll, expenses, accounts payable and billing.
Service Line Group
KPMG provides Audit, Tax and Advisory services to clients with these client-facing functions supported by a Central Services. Within Central Services, the firm has an established Procurement function resourced with qualified procurement professionals responsible for supporting the firm’s £300m+ expenditure on bought-in goods & services. The Procurement function‘s objectives are:
• To be regarded as an invaluable business partner by the firm’s Infrastructure functions (in particular Facilities, HR , Marketing and IT) and by the wider business functions (Audit, Tax, Advisory and Markets)
• To drive the continuous improvement of third-party goods & services and minimise the risks associated with commercial contracting activities through the application of best-practice procurement across the firm
• To deliver year-on-year financial benefit to the firm
• To offer rewarding development & career opportunities to all members of the Procurement function
Overview of the Position / Key Responsibilities
Procurement’s sourcing activities are managed by five category teams; Facilities Services, HR & Professional Services, Marketing Services, Technology Services and Travel Services. Each category team is made up of category-specialist procurement professionals led by a Category Manager, each reporting to the Head of Procurement. HR/PS spend for KPMG UK is circa £180m.
The Strategic Sourcing Manager – HR is responsible for supporting the Category Manager and thereby maximising the contribution of the HR category to the firm through active support of key stakeholders and budget-holders with responsibility for expenditure and supplier relationships in the category. The Strategic Sourcing Manager – HR’s main responsibilities are:
• Ability to build and develop effective relationships with key internal stakeholders demonstrating a full understanding of their drivers & requirements and identifying and providing appropriate support & solutions
• Operate as a trusted business advisor to the client function and become accepted as an integral member of the internal client’s team
• Strong project management skills with the ability to develop realistic and comprehensive sourcing timetables to ensure that project deadlines are understood, roles and responsibilities are clearly defined and communicated to the stakeholder(s)
• Ability to work under pressure, managing conflicting requirements whilst meeting client expectations and delivering excellent client service
• Ability to work as part of a team, contributing to the category agenda and supporting the Category Manager in pursuit of best practice category management
• Act as a mentor to the less experienced members of the category team, offering support and advice as appropriate
• Supporting the Category Manager with the execution of the category plan, including support of client projects (sourcing, contract renewals, extensions, variations, terminations and dispute resolution etc.) and delivery of savings (cost avoidance and reduction)
• Application of the firm’s independence & reciprocity policies, and application of the department’s standard processes, tools, templates & systems to all sourcing & contracting activities
• Appropriate consideration of CSR & diversity criteria in all sourcing & contracting activities and active participation in the firm’s Supplier Diversity & CSR Programme
• Proactive involvement of key strategic suppliers in the category
• Management of one Sourcing Specialist (D grade) including recruitment, retention and development (including goal-setting & appraisal) and optimal allocation of resources to projects & activities for the right candidate.
Skills and Behaviours
The Strategic Sourcing Manager – HR is required to demonstrate the Skills & Behaviours expected of a Manager (see “Skills & Behaviours in Action”). In particular the position requires:
Delivering Quality Service
• Ability to manage multiple projects and stakeholder priorities, sometimes to aggressive timescales, whilst managing to consistently deliver high quality service
• Ability and willingness to adopt a flexible approach to client projects thereby accommodating client working preferences whilst still meeting key procurement principles (e. g. risk mitigation, value for money and service and quality
• Fully accountable at all times for project deliverables and demonstrable contribution to category savings targets
• Proven track-record of building & maintaining effective stakeholder relationships
• Ability to influence stakeholder thinking and to demonstrate procurement’s value add
Drive and Resilience
• Ability to sustain a high level of drive and maintain a professional and enthusiastic approach to work even when under duress.
• Willingness to work hard to meet demands in key times of pressure and the ability to overcome obstacles in order to meet project deadlines
• Ability to analyse complex issues & challenges, evaluate options and make recommendations with clear supporting rationale
• Highly numerate; able to interpret company accounts, financial and management information; able to undertake and present complex financial and other analyses
In particular the position requires:
• Broad procurement experience with a proven track-record of successfully delivering and/or contributing to the development & implementation of procurement solutions across the spectrum of people, policy, process, systems etc.
• Proven track-record of successfully executing sourcing projects within the HR category to deliver quality, service, risk and commercial benefits preferably across the spectrum of services (training, recruitment agencies, staff benefits, legal services etc)
• Literacy – ability to understand and author complex business documents including reports, business cases, terms of reference, Requests for Proposal, contract documentation etc.
Qualifications and Experience
• Degree qualified (or equivalent)
• Preferably a fully qualified member of applicable national Procurement institute (eg. CIPS, NEVI etc.)
• Experience in procurement or equivalent commercial roles, preferably with strong experience within the HR/PS category and with P2P experience
• Relevant industry experience; Professional Services, Financial Services etc.
Recognising and Motivating you
If the chance to work with interesting clients and innovative technology wasn’t rewarding enough, we’ll motivate you in other ways too. At KPMG you can expect real responsibilities and opportunities to grow professionally.
‘Our Deal’ sets out all the different ways you’ll be rewarded at KPMG. Among other things you can benefit from honest conversations about your career as well as a range of other rewards. In all these ways and more, we have created an environment that can bring out the best in you.
While some of our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, we are supportive where possible of helping you to achieve a balance between your home and work demands.
We are happy to discuss individual requirements and our range of flexible working arrangements could be of interest. Furthermore, as part of the recruitment process, we can put you in touch with people who work flexibly so you can understand from them what our culture is like.
Applying with a disability
KPMG are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and we seek to attract and retain the best people from the widest possible talent pool. As a member of the Business Disability Forum we're committed to ensuring that you are treated fairly throughout our Recruitment Process. Should you be successful after the initial application stage, please discuss any reasonable adjustments that you may require, with your recruitment contact.
KPMG's commitment to diversity
KPMG consistently features in the Sunday Times Best Big Companies to work for, which has been recognised with a special achievement award to mark our 10 years in the Top 25. We are proud of the value we place on individuality; we want you to bring your full self to work and truly maximise your potential. We believe that your individuality helps us to deliver the best results for our clients. Diversity of background, diversity of experience, diversity of perspective - that's the KPMG difference. But, don't take our word for it, find out more about diversity at KPMG.
Returning to work after a break
At KPMG, we appreciate that returning to work after an extended career break can be daunting. We understand that those with experience who have taken a career break have a wealth of experience and knowledge to offer our organisation, which helps us to achieve our business goals. We will support you to refresh your skills, develop your confidence and provide a supportive network across the firm to help you best integrate into the working environment. This role welcomes applications for individuals who have been out of work for 18 months or more and who have previous relevant experience.
Policy for Agencies
KPMG has a commitment to sourcing candidates directly and as such we do not accept speculative CV’s from agencies. Please check here to see our policy on agencies: Policy
UK & Eire,
Recruitment & Resourcing
Haberdashers' Aske's Elstree Schools
Epson Europe BV