The People Function plays a pivotal role in supporting the overall business strategy. In order to do this we are continually reviewing the way we recruit, develop and reward the people that work for KPMG to make sure that we attract and retain the very best and most diverse talent in the market place and enable them to achieve extraordinary things for our clients. At the heart of our people strategy lies a simple but powerful statement – “our people are extraordinary”.
The People Operations team circa 145 staff provide administrative and advisory support to our UK Business. The operation consists of an HR Shared Services team, HR Technology team and an HR Transformation team. Customer centric, we are consistently looking for ways to exceed expectations of our people across the business with the service we deliver.
Context of role
As one of the AM’s in the HR Advisory Team you will be responsible for pro-actively managing the service of the HR Advisory Team (HRAT) within your capability group and ensuring that this is consistent across all areas. You will be responsible for shaping how the team work to achieve that work. You will be expected to build key relationships with stakeholders in the business and HR.
Your focus will be on the up-skilling of both the managers in the business by proactively educating and training them in HR matters, and the HR Advisory Team to drive the consistent delivery of best practice HR solutions across the team. You will manage a team of HR Advisors and Senior HR Advisors. Working closely with your team and the HR Leads and the HR Business Partners more broadly, you will act as an escalation point for complex ER cases and programmes and play a key role in the continual review of the services HRAT provide, ensuring they are fit for purpose and we have a structure and approach that can deliver against agreed SLAs.
Role and Responsibilities
The role has the following key responsibilities:
- Act as account manager, working closely with HR Leads, HRBPs as appropriate and PLs to ensure the HRAT model is meeting business requirements;
- Identify key relationships in the business and proactively build them;
- Working closely with the HR Leads, HR Business Partners, PL’s/ BOLS and HR Advisory Team, you will play an active role in shaping how the HRAT fit client needs through a commitment to evolving the model by responding to the business and driving consistency from the centre;
- Proactively ensure we are playing a role in developing performance managers’ (PMs) and Performance Leaders’ (PLs) performance management skills and abilities to manage ER issues in their teams e.g. through training and education.
- Manage escalated complex ER cases from HR Advisors and Senior HR Advisors, including the most challenging of under-performance and absence cases;
- Lead and coordinate complex ER programmes within the business area such as redundancy and TUPE;
- Be an expert in all ER matters and proactively impart this with wider HRAT;
- Take a commercial, considered stance to risk assessment linking in with Employment Law Advisory Team (ELAT), escalating issues as appropriate to an HR Advisory Account Manager before escalation to the relevant CoE or HR Business Partner;
- Proactively coach performance managers (PMs), PLs and Partners on the approach to absence management and the tools to deal with long term/persistent absences – including OH referrals of varying complexity;
- Proactively coach PMs and PLs on the implementation of RPP development plans and advise on how to approach and handle typical and atypical RPP/performance coaching meetings;
- Coach and support PMs and PLs on the performance management process and approaches to give difficult messages.
Reward / Centre of Excellence
- Lead involvement with a specific Centre of Excellence, ensuring HRAT working closely with the HR Business Partners and CofE team to coordinate our role and maximise value we ca add;
- Identify and drive opportunities to be more efficient and consistent and to manage CofE activities from HRAT upwards;
- Be accountable for ensuring that all CofE activities are delivered on time and to a high standard for capability which you provide support;
- Coach and guide team members on agreed approach and principles so they are confident and effective in conveying these appropriate stakeholders;
- Work closely with People Information and other teams to respond to requirements as appropriate for management information. Work closely to understand what role HRAT can and should play.
- Add value to management information by providing analysis and executive summary;
- Review information to identify any trends and identify actions where appropriate.
Contributing to HRAT and People Function
- Share knowledge and experience with wider HRAT e.g. through team meetings;
- Support recruitment for all levels within HRAT;
- Coach team on all aspects of their role;
- Work with HRAT Manager to measure the value of HRAT activities and develop KPIs and SLAs for key processes where appropriate, ensuring that real demonstrable value is being added to the business from HRAT;
- Lead team and work collaboratively with team to further embed the HRAT model and to provide clients with an excellent service; support team members during their busier periods; and take a personal responsibility to continuously improve and streamline the quality of HRAT work;
- Identify training needs and work with HRAT Manager on HRAT training curriculum;
- Work with HRAT Manager to establish career development programmes from E2 to D1 and D1 to D2 and support team through these programmes;
- Performance manage team; hold ongoing open and honest conversations about performance;
- Support the documentation of all best practice HRAT processes;
- Take part in and contribute to KPMG wide projects;
- Take part in functional projects supporting the HR Business Partners.
You will be able to demonstrable experience in the key components of the role. This is typically underpinned by experience in a fast moving, responsive HR team. You will also ideally have experience of managing people and coaching/mentoring others.
Skills and Experience
It is expected that you will be CIPD qualified. In addition you will:
- Have a proven ability to build relationships and communicate with people at all levels;
- Have a proven ability to work to deadlines and work without supervision;
- Have a proven ability to influence and challenge others and drive change;
- Have excellent people management skills and a strength and passion for developing others;
- Possess strong problem solving and facilitation skills;
- Be an excellent communicator – written and verbal;
- Have strong organisational, literacy and numeracy skills;
- Have excellent IT skills including Excel, PowerPoint and SAP or equivalent HR system.