Clifford Chance is a truly integrated global law firm that operates as one organisation throughout the world. We are committed to providing the highest quality professional advice, in combining technical expertise with a deep understanding of the commercial environment in which our clients operate.
Alongside world-class legal careers, Clifford Chance offers excellent opportunities in the support functions that underpin its business operations. By joining us in business services, you will help us to innovate in the way we deliver our services and enable us to run a successful multinational business that never stands still. Business services are integral to the running of the firm and are critical to its success.
The Global Head of Inclusion and Diversity will sit in the Global HR function could be based anywhere in the Clifford Chance office network. As the subject matter expert they will work with the Global and local HR teams across the network and will be accountable for working with these teams to ensure that Clifford Chance recruits, retains, develops and promotes an inclusive workforce. The role will involve both strategic elements such as advising on the recruitment, retention and development strategy in relation to inclusion, as well as being responsible for collateral collation and development, measurement and reporting, events, networks, internal and external communications, cooperating with our clients, and liaising with specialist external advisors and suppliers.
The Global Head of Inclusion and Diversity is a new role for the firm. There are a number of successful local office initiatives focused upon inclusion and diversity, and the firm's Executive Leadership Group ("ELG") has played a key role in promoting inclusion and diversity in the firm. The firm, and its diversity, has evolved and now is the right time for the firm to further its inclusion efforts through a dedicated role.
The main purposes of the Global Head of Inclusion and Diversity roles are:
- be the central point of contact for local individuals who have (or whose part of role has) responsibility for local diversity and inclusion initiatives;
- work with offices to develop and execute local initiatives around a global inclusion and diversity strategy; test the efficacy of the strategy and report to groups such as the ELG, Executive Operations Group (EOG) and HR Leadership Group (HRL);
- lead the global inclusion and diversity communications plan for internal and external audiences;
- coordinate budget and resource allocation across diversity initiatives;
- be the central point of contact for all diversity and inclusion reporting, including for the firm's Responsible Business annual report, ad hoc client requests, Business Development capability statements and regulatory requirements; and
- deliver presentations to the firm on issues of inclusion and diversity
Key responsibilities include:
- With the assistance of the HRL and local diversity and inclusion stakeholders, create a global inclusion and diversity strategy for the firm and engage with the ELG, EOG, HRL and local stakeholders to agree and embed the strategy and to develop initiatives which support it;
- With the assistance of the HRL, test the efficacy of initiatives against the goals of the strategy and regularly report on this to the ELG, EOG and HRL;
- With the assistance of the HRL, review the firm's diversity and inclusion policies from a best practice perspective and advise on, and assist on executing, improvements and changes;
- With the assistance of the firm's Communications team, create a global inclusion and diversity communications plan for internal and external audiences and execute on that strategy;
- With the assistance of the firm's Academy team, update the firm's global inclusion and diversity education programme;
- With the assistance of the firm's Business Development and Data Privacy teams, create a framework and process for: (i) request-for-proposal language on inclusion and diversity for inclusion in client pitches; (ii) responding to ad hoc client requests for diversity information;
- With the assistance of the HRL and Communications team, create a global reporting framework for the firm in relation to ethnicity (and any other appropriate areas of inclusion where the firm does not currently report globally) and expand the firm's current Responsible Business annual reporting in relation to ethnicity;
- Take ownership of the firm's HR system in relation to monitoring information for self-reporting and diversity;
- Conduct regular internal and external speaking engagements on inclusion and diversity and the firm;
- Provide leadership and guidance to the firm's internal inclusion networks and groups and, in particular, assist with, and report to the ELG and EOG on, budgeting and resource allocation to those groups in line with the firm's inclusion and diversity strategy.
Ideally your experience will have been gained in a large commercial environment. Specialist experience of inclusion and diversity within a large corporate or professional services environment would be an asset; however, this is not a strict requirement. Of critical importance is the ability to show commitment to tackling issues of inclusion and diversity in practical, sustainable and innovative ways within the global Clifford Chance environment.
Ideally, you will be a recognised specialist within HR and/or diversity and inclusion.
You will have experience of prioritisation of resource and budget allocation. Ideally, you will have experience of liaising with external communications and PR agencies, and professional networks or organisations such as the UN, Stonewall, or similar.
- Knowledge of diversity and inclusion issues in a global context is preferred. A strong global mindset, an understanding of various global cultures, and knowledge of global diversity is preferred.
- Knowledge of best practice and an understanding of basic HR practice is desirable.
- You will have a deep understanding of statistical methodologies and measures for diversity measurement and evaluation.
- You will have recognised and demonstrable oral and written communication skills, including experience in developing and delivering presentations across a full spectrum of stakeholders, at both internal and external events and meetings.
- You have experience in crafting strategy documents and executing on a strategy.
- You are comfortable with analysing, interpreting, explaining and presenting data.
- You are able to deliver clear and impartial strategic advice in a consultative manner, and have the intellectual rigour and insight to be credible with stakeholders, particularly those at management level.
- You possess broad business acumen with the ability to influence change.
- You have the ability to work in an international, regional and local contexts and to address issues at those levels.
- You have a strong network of peers and external experts and suppliers.
Please include a cover letter with your application.
It is the Firm's policy to treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. Furthermore, the Firm will ensure that no requirement or condition will be imposed without justification which could disadvantage individuals purely on any of the above grounds.
The policy applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
The Firm will regularly review its procedures and selection criteria to ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and otherwise treated according to their relevant individual abilities and merits.
The Firm is committed to the implementation of this policy and to a programme of action to ensure that the policy is, and continues to be, fully effective. All staff are required to comply with the policy and to act in accordance with its objectives so as to remove any barriers to equal opportunity. Any act of discrimination by employees or any failure to comply with the terms of the policy will result in disciplinary action.