Global Career Advisor
- Clifford Chance
- Recruitment & Resourcing, Talent Management
- Job Level
- Adviser / Executive / Officer
- Legal, Professional Services
- Contract type
Clifford Chance is a truly integrated global law firm that operates as one organisation throughout the world. We are committed to providing the highest quality professional advice, in combining technical expertise with a deep understanding of the commercial environment in which our clients operate.
Clifford Chance provides a great platform for career development and success, across both legal and Business Services teams. In addition to our graduate lawyer training scheme, this also includes formal training programmes through our global Academy, mentoring schemes, secondments and career frameworks.
Career development needs are becoming more sophisticated and the range of career options is broader. To be the firm of choice for the Best Team means continually improving the firm's career development capabilities and adapting them to the needs of a changing workforce.
The firm has launched a Career Agility initiative which aims to improve career development, helping individuals have better discussions and giving more tools to help them explore their ambition and potential. This includes improvements to global mentoring; a new objective-setting platform; broader course offerings through the Academy; a Career Portal with assessment, testing and coaching tools; and better connections to our alumni and the external market. The Career Agility initiative includes the creation of a Global Career Advisory role.
The Global Career Advisory role is designed to be at the forefront of the firm's Career Agility initiatives, to help colleagues to leverage available tools and resources, and to be a touch point.
The Global Career Advisor role is an exciting opportunity to make a difference to the career experience of all our colleagues across Clifford Chance and to become the recognised expert and contact point for helping individuals to navigate their opportunities.
The Global Career Advisor role has been designed to provide a confidential and impartial service to coach, counsel and connect our people as they navigate their evolving careers. To support the role, the firm has put into place a number of tools and resources, for which the Global Career Advisor will have a central role. In particular, the role will have the continued support of the HR teams and the Academy.
It is a stand-alone role within the Global HR team, but will liaise closely with HR colleagues globally, The Academy, the Alumni team and Resource Management. Trusted relationships with these colleagues will be central to successful delivery of career advisory services.
- Understand and assist in refreshing and improving the firm's career frameworks for lawyers and Business Services.
- Liaise with the firm's Resource Managers and General Managers in relation to opportunities and needs in the practice areas and functions.
- Liaise with the firm's Global Mobility team to understand mobility issues. Liaise with Practice Area leaders and General Managers and form a network of knowledge in relation to secondment opportunities.
- Liaise with the firm's Global Head of Recruitment to understand market issues and dynamics, and to form a network of knowledge around opportunities.
- Provide coaching, counselling and connections to resources to Clifford Chance colleagues, enabling them to be better informed in making decisions around their next career move: whether internally or externally.
- Take ownership of the firm's Career Portal and periodically refresh content and suggest enhancements. Liaise with the Academy around evidence from the Career Portal on skills development needs and ambitions.
- Liaise with the firm's Alumni team to stay up to date in relation to job boards and Alumni success stories.
- Liaise with the firm's Global Head of Coaching to understand coaching support available throughout the firm.
- Build strong connections with the HR teams globally to facilitate discussions around career development, mobility, promotion and mentoring.
- Create and own the Career Agility communications plan, liaising with the Global Communications team and local stakeholders on how best to promulgate (both internally and externally) marketing collateral relating to Career Agility.
- Provide data and evidence to key constituents such as the Global HR Leadership Group, Resource Managers and the Executive Operations Group on career development: such as lateral and internal promotions, secondments, external roles.
Experience and Knowledge
- You will have strong advisory skills, ideally honed within the professional services sector.
- You will have knowledge or experience of working in the legal sector. An understanding of a legal or professional services environment, or large matrixed organisation is essential.
- Ideally, you will have knowledge of either the recruitment industry with a strong network, or of outplacement processes and providers.
- You will have a good understanding of common recruitment practices and processes.
- You will have a good understanding of management development.
- A qualification related to coaching or career guidance would be an advantage.
- High levels of self awareness and emotional intelligence, adept at reading situations and people
- An inclusive working style
- Comfortable with giving constructive feedback to people from a wide range of career backgrounds and flexible to adapt your personal delivery style and communication accordingly
- Energetic and curious with exceptional listening skills
- Ability to be impartial and objective at all times, maintaining integrity and confidentiality
- A highly confident communicator with the intellectual rigour and insight to be credible with senior stakeholders and manage broader internal and external relationships
- The ability to deliver clear and impartial strategic advice in a consultative manner
- Willingness to work autonomously and flexibly to meet the needs of the business
- Highly organised & resourceful, with strong time management skills
- Demonstrated ability to deliver through people
Please include a cover letter with your application.
It is the Firm's policy to treat all employees and job applicants fairly and equally regardless of their gender, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, national or ethnic origin, social or economic background, disability, religious belief, sexual orientation, or age. Furthermore, the Firm will ensure that no requirement or condition will be imposed without justification which could disadvantage individuals purely on any of the above grounds.
The policy applies to recruitment and selection, terms and conditions of employment including pay, promotion, training, transfer and every other aspect of employment.
The Firm will regularly review its procedures and selection criteria to ensure that individuals are selected, promoted and otherwise treated according to their relevant individual abilities and merits.
The Firm is committed to the implementation of this policy and to a programme of action to ensure that the policy is, and continues to be, fully effective. All staff are required to comply with the policy and to act in accordance with its objectives so as to remove any barriers to equal opportunity. Any act of discrimination by employees or any failure to comply with the terms of the policy will result in disciplinary action.