Skip to main content
Back to results
This job has expired
KPMG is part of a global network of firms that offers Audit, Tax & Pensions, Consulting, Deal Advisory and Technology services. Through the talent of over 16,000 colleagues, we bring our creativity and insight to our clients’ most critical challenges.
With offices across the UK, we work with everyone from small start-ups and individuals to major multinationals, in virtually every industry imaginable. Our work is often complex, yet our vision is simple: to be the clear choice for our clients, for our people and for the communities we work in.
Service Line Group
The Resource Manager will provide a professional Resource Management service to the Corporates Consulting client-facing teams, ensuring the efficient and effective utilisation of on and offshore resources.
Roles and Responsibilities
• Allocation of client facing staff to projects; drawing on robust negotiation skills to resolve conflicts and escalating issues when necessary
• Drive Service Line resourcing across the business by building excellent relationships and making the most of knowledge sharing with the wider team to maximise utilisation by team
• Influencing key stakeholders on resource selection and strategic solutions to achieve maximum utilisation and effective skills / grade mix on projects including increased KGS usage.
• Work with engagement managers to ensure profitability is kept at the forefront of resourcing decisions, and succession planning is taken into account
• Business planning/forecasting i.e. external audit planning for areas supporting audit
• Support Resource Management projects and initiatives where appropriate to support the continuous improvement of the RM function, eg career clinics, PL roadshows and MI
• Attending the weekly sales pipeline meetings and flagging to Service Line Leadership any potential resourcing conflicts, challenges and successes
• Visit client sites as appropriate, to allow relationship building with the client facing team / engagement managers, aid forward planning and ensure forecasts are reflected accurately in Retain
• Support the LoB Resource Managers in the tracking and understanding of headcount movements working closely with recruitment, HR and PLs.
• Lead Resource Management wide projects and initiatives.
• Sole Resource Management for key accounts including succession planning.
• Relationship Manager for specified Service Line Group (SSL)
• Responsible for managing the overall Resource Management delivery and strategy of the Service Line, communications and conflict resolution, working closely with the Lead Resource Manager.
• Analysis of core MI reporting for discussion with the Service Line – e.g. weekly utilisation, pipeline, staff availability, lending and borrowing
• Prepares relevant resource management information and positions solutions to aid resourcing decisions based on core MI (pipeline/resource availability, resource grade mix, capability and skill set requirements and utilisation) Attend pipeline meetings to supporting the fulfilment of the roles with agreed team allocation maximising utilisation across the teams
• Promote and maximise the off-shore capability groups to leverage profitability on engagements with KGS
• Attend all Service Line Lead / HOPO leadership meetings to provide Resource Management insight to support business planning decisions, e.g. recruitment, providing supporting information for business cases for skill-set shortfalls, working closely with the Line of Business Lead Resource Manager (LoB Lead)
• Ensure cross function working is at the heart of resourcing, based on skills match for the right roles. Closely monitor cross functional working, raising any issues for resolution and proposing solutions to succession planning issues
• Analysis of weekly / monthly MI reports and work with the Lead Partner/s to create required bespoke reporting in conjunction with the MI team as required Escalation of issues / conflicts at leadership level to ensure decisions made are in line with the business goals
• Maintain strong links with the KPMG Resource Management community outside of Deal Advisory (both UK and International) to build cross functional relationships to ensure we consistently apply best practice resource management methods and to maximise all opportunities to successfully and creatively resource projects with the relevant Service Line skills
• Build and maintain strong relationships with SSLs, PLs, HOPOS and Performance Managers to support resourcing processes and feedback when required on performance management issues
• Developing strong relationships across the wider resourcing community (UK and International); sharing resources across practices where appropriate
• Support the Performance Management of individuals by working closely with Performance Managers to identify the right opportunities for individuals to allow them to grow and develop
• Responsible for the regular promotion of KGS and Graduates within their SSL to maximise utilisation
• Liaise with Engagement Leaders to seek feedback on performance and utilise this to enhance development opportunities moving forwards
• Meet and greet all new joiners to introduce Resource Management processes and understand their skills and career aspirations and skills matrices are completed
• Meet with all staff before they complete engagements to ensure mini bios and skills matrices are completed and updated on completion of engagements or at least every 6 months
MI & Reporting
• Reporting on available resources, or those working on non chargeable activities, escalating issues where appropriate
• Ensuring that Retain is accurate by working closely with their off-shore Resource Administrators
• Analyse resource data and highlight and concerns in periods of peak holiday, training or non chargeable activities that will impact business performance
• Demonstrating strong commercial awareness when reporting weekly to key stakeholders on MI such as forecast, actual utilisation and lending and borrowing rates, monitoring and investigating discrepancies between the data on a weekly / monthly basis and providing insight to the management team, highlighting any potential concerns of shortfall / over utilisation and any budget challenges
• Provide robust weekly commentaries to support weekly MI and for leadership team awareness.
• Responsible for chasing down and tracking variances between SAP and Retain and that any repeated non-compliance is escalated to the Service Line Leaders
• Understand and be aware of headcount movement to feed into the LoB Resource Managers
• Contribute relevant management information and feedback where appropriate to PLs for use in moderation meetings for grades B to E within SSL group
• Responsible for the Performance/Line Management of Resource Advisors at D & E grade
• Lead, develop and motivate staff taking full responsibility for individual and team performance management, coaching, development and communications.
• Recruitment and selection of new team members as appropriate
Qualifications and Skills
• Excellent relationship management and communications skills by demonstrating the ability to build strong relationships with senior members of staff
• Ability to influence strategic resourcing, training and recruitment decisions through presentation of information that is timely and informative
Experience and Background
• Resourcing background gained in a Professional Services environment
• Resilient and capable of working in a challenging, continuously changing environment
• Confident, assertive and have the ability to prioritise and manage both the workload of themselves and the team within which they operate.
• Strong team player
• Flexibility and tenacity
• Strong Commercial Awareness
Recognising and Motivating you
If the chance to work with interesting clients and innovative technology wasn’t rewarding enough, we’ll motivate you in other ways too. At KPMG you can expect real responsibilities and opportunities to grow professionally.
‘Our Deal’ sets out all the different ways you’ll be rewarded at KPMG. Among other things you can benefit from honest conversations about your career as well as a range of other rewards. In all these ways and more, we have created an environment that can bring out the best in you.
While some of our client-facing professionals can be required to travel regularly, and at times be based at client sites, we are supportive where possible of helping you to achieve a balance between your home and work demands.
We are happy to discuss individual requirements and our range of flexible working arrangements could be of interest. Furthermore, as part of the recruitment process, we can put you in touch with people who work flexibly so you can understand from them what our culture is like.
Applying with a disability
KPMG are proud to be an inclusive, equal opportunity employer and we seek to attract and retain the best people from the widest possible talent pool. As a member of the Business Disability Forum we're committed to ensuring that you are treated fairly throughout our Recruitment Process. Should you be successful after the initial application stage, please discuss any reasonable adjustments that you may require, with your recruitment contact.
KPMG's commitment to diversity
KPMG consistently features in the Sunday Times Best Big Companies to work for, which has been recognised with a special achievement award to mark our 10 years in the Top 25. We are proud of the value we place on individuality; we want you to bring your full self to work and truly maximise your potential. We believe that your individuality helps us to deliver the best results for our clients. Diversity of background, diversity of experience, diversity of perspective - that's the KPMG difference. But, don't take our word for it, find out more about diversity at KPMG.
Returning to work after a break
At KPMG, we appreciate that returning to work after an extended career break can be daunting. We understand that those with experience who have taken a career break have a wealth of experience and knowledge to offer our organisation, which helps us to achieve our business goals. We will support you to refresh your skills, develop your confidence and provide a supportive network across the firm to help you best integrate into the working environment. This role welcomes applications for individuals who have been out of work for 18 months or more and who have previous relevant experience.
Policy for Agencies
KPMG has a commitment to sourcing candidates directly and as such we do not accept speculative CV’s from agencies. Please check here to see our policy on agencies: Policy
UK & Eire,
Recruitment & Resourcing,
Changeboard Holdings Limited
Leonard Cheshire Disability
Open Society European Policy Institute (OSEPI)