Senior HR Manager, Early Careers
- HR Manager, Learning & Development, Recruitment & Resourcing
- Job Level
- Legal, Professional Services
- Contract type
Ashurst is a leading global law firm with a history spanning almost 200 years, and clear strategy for our future growth. Our in-depth understanding of our clients and commitment to providing exceptional standards of service have seen us become a trusted adviser to local and global corporates, financial institutions and governments in all areas of commercial law.
Business Area - Human Resources
Role: Senior HR Manager, Early Careers
Reporting to: Head of Resourcing
Hours of work - Monday to Friday, 9.30am-5.30pm. However, role requires flexibility to attend evening recruitment and vacation scheme events.
Department/ Role Overview:
To lead and coordinate the global Early Careers proposition encompassing legal and business services graduate and apprenticeship programmes across UK, Australia, Asia and Europe with a particular focus on consistency, efficiency and quality across the offices overseeing budgets, attraction and engagement, recruitment and selection and programme management and development.
Operational Efficiencies and Global Consistencies
- Implement an approach to diversity and social mobility that is consistent with global policy and allows for local variances and ensure that our hires reflect the language and intellectual needs of the business.
- Work collaboratively with the global graduate recruitment team, marketing and brand to establish global recruitment campaign and local attraction strategy to source high potential talent. This will include the revamp of our campaign and piloting new tools and services to enhance the brand.
- Roll out of our applicant tracking system globally to all Early Career programmes and create a suite of reports to manage the performance and track the return on investment of our activity.
- Streamline and automate our processes where possible, utilising our global shared service centre as much as possible.
- Act as a change manager and project leader, with the gravitas and credibility to influence at a senior level within the organisation. Participate in management meetings to provide advice, support and where appropriate, challenge. Engender trust when building relationships and act as a coach as appropriate.
- Create PSL for suppliers of services.
- Review the Graduate campaign including student research, website and collateral / merchandise to create an updated and relevant look/messaging.
- Review the work experience, internship and early identification processes to ensure we pipeline talent.
- Review the campus strategy we have and create more consistency with campus action teams, merchandise and the investment we make with events.
- Review our partnerships with schools, colleges and universities to ensure we have access to the right talent pools.
Selection and Assessment
- Review our selection and assessment process and roll out Online Assessment methodology globally and devise and run reporting to assess ROI.
- Responsibility for ensuring consistency, quality and efficiencies for all programmes.
- Work with Learning and Development to develop and implement global skills training programme to equip graduates with key business and technical skills to support the law firm of the future.
- Review and coordinate global secondment policy and programme, ensuring that this is utilised in our attraction materials and increases our appeal to students with key language skills.
- Oversee the establishment of Legal and Business Services early career programmes in Scotland.
- Implement a consistent approach to the graduate appraisal process and build an expectations framework to the graduate level.
- Agree a more efficient model for seat rotation and establish a clear programme for qualification and settlement of graduates to ensure resourcing needs are met in all offices across the network.
- Manage, mentor and develop the team, including setting objectives and conducting annual reviews.
- Work in close partnership with other HR Managers to ensure consistency, sharing of ideas and best practise.
- Lead on, or contribute to, projects to develop HR practices and processes.
- Support the Head of Resourcing with ad hoc projects.
Risk and Control: Ensure that all activities and duties are carried out in full compliance with our regulatory requires and internal policies.
Essential skills and experience:
- Excellent knowledge of the international graduate market place.
- The ability to work well within a team and work autonomously when needed.
- Experience of managing, mentoring or supervising other team members.
- A strong client focus and influencing skills.
- Be personable and approachable in style in order to communicate well at all levels and willing to take a robust approach when required.
- Experience of managing, and negotiating with, suppliers.
- A proactive approach with a 'can do' attitude.
- Be hard working, conscientious and have good attention to detail.
- Strong negotiation skills with the ability to influence and persuade.
- Strong ability to build and maintain working relationships across all areas of the business.