Purpose of role
The Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner HR team has a vision to be recognised as an HR department at the forefront of its profession. We believe this requires a constant desire to meet the ever changing needs of the business and its people, a dedication to outstanding client service and a determination to act as a cohesive team in everything that we do.
The L&D team is one of five core HR Centres of Expertise and is integral to developing legal and non-legal capability, improving performance and building the future talent pool. The team is also responsible for organising all legal and non-legal skills training across all the offices of the firm.
The Senior L&D Advisor will be responsible for the delivery of a wide range of training and development programmes to lawyers from across the firm. This role will work closely with the Knowledge Development Lawyers and others to ensure that the legal training meets requirements and will either deliver or source external providers to deliver any necessary skills training.
Planning, Design and Implementation
• Identifying training and development needs: working closely with other members of the L&D team, HR Operations and members of the client group to ensure that all interventions are aligned to the firm’s career development framework and the firm’s strategic business objectives
• Design and facilitation of new training sessions and programmes including bespoke team days
• Evaluating courses and on-going review of existing training sessions and programmes and design and delivery of improvements
• Ensuring successful implementation and administration of training sessions and programmes
• Identifying and engaging “champions” to support learning and development interventions
• Delivering training sessions and programmes
• Using a variety of teaching/learning methods throughout
• Identifying and implementing innovative, effective learning and development solutions
• Creating supporting materials including presentations and online materials
• Maintaining and administering e-learning
• One-to-one coaching and development sessions
• Supporting wider HR initiatives and projects e.g. partner conferences, strategy days, conferences, and organisational development projects
• Involvement in setting the budget and ensuring that training invoices are checked and paid on a timely basis.
• Primary contact for our Learning Management System including designing bespoke reports
Head of L&D and the wider L&D team, Knowledge Development Lawyers, other business services teams, partners, associates, external trainers and facilitators
Experience and knowledge
You will either be a lawyer looking to move into an L&D role with an interest in developing talent or a seasoned L&D professional, looking to work in an entrepreneurial, growing law firm where L&D is greatly valued
Skills and competencies
• Demonstrates an in-depth understanding of the training cycle and learning theory and applies this in a practical context
• Excellent presentation and facilitation skills with the ability to deliver to a range of audiences
• Ideally, strong experience of managing and delivering professional skills programmes (within a professional services environment)
• Strong communication, interpersonal and relationship building skills in order to liaise with different parts of the firm
• Strong influencing skills: ability to gain credibility at all levels and can “sell” the benefits of on-going development
• Team player - ready to pitch in and support not just the L&D team but the wider HR team
• A genuine interest in how professional services firms/partnerships operate
• Strong project management and organisational skills with the ability to manage multiple tasks/projects
• Ability to work under pressure and take a flexible approach to service delivery
• Excellent attention to detail
• Proactive, energetic and self-motivated
• Experience of working across international offices desirable but not essential
• Coaching and psychometric qualifications and experience would be valued but not essential
• Trustworthy with the ability to deal with confidential information
Diversity, inclusion and working differently
Diversity and inclusion is at the heart of Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner. We are wholly committed to creating an inclusive and inspirational culture where all our employees are valued, motivated and able to make the most of their skills qualities and points of difference and, most importantly, be themselves.
We believe that our goals of always exceeding client expectations and being the most attractive place to work will only be achieved if we recruit, retain, reward and develop our people with regard to their abilities and contributions and without reference to their background, gender, gender identity, ethnic origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, political belief or disability.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner is a firm with an increasingly flexible workforce. We are supportive of a range of working arrangements, tailored to you as an individual, wherever possible.
Please ask the Resourcing Team about the flexible working arrangements that are available to you within this role.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner will ensure all hardcopy and electronic materials containing confidential information are securely stored and accessible only to those authorised to view such content.
As a regulated firm of solicitors, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner LLP (“Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner”) is required to undertake appropriate vetting of staff. In addition to completion, by applicants who accept a job offer, of a regulatory questionnaire, Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner uses a specialist provider to undertake professional verification and background checks (including through electronic data sources, and directly with employers and professional bodies/regulators) on our behalf. We will also undertake certain verifications ourselves.
Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner adopts a risk-based approach to its vetting procedures, which are only undertaken with consent, and in accordance with IT, legal and regulatory obligations. For further details, please see our recruitment website: https://jobs.blplaw.com/.