Head of People
- Odgers Berndtson
- Isle of Man
- Competitive salary
- HR Director, Head of HR
- UK & Eire, North West, Isle of Man
- Job Level
- Director / Head / VP
- Contract type
Headquartered on the Isle of Man, Microgaming is the world’s leading software supplier to the online gaming industry, providing 700+ gaming brands with an award-winning portfolio of 850+ games. Their products include Casino, Poker, Bingo and Sportsbook. Accessing a global talent pool of 2,500+ industry professionals, and continually innovating to produce new titles on desktop and mobile every month, they have seen significant growth in key markets worldwide.
Back in 1994, Microgaming created the world’s first true online casino software. Today, they continue to use cutting-edge technology to develop a range of products across multiple platforms and languages, appealing to a huge audience.
The unique culture of the business has been key to its success, which is evidenced by the opening of their new, ultramodern offices in 2017. Microgaming is a people-oriented business with Culture Ambassadors who identify, nurture and celebrate individuals and teams. Through Microgaming PlayItForward, the company also gets involved in good causes on the Isle of Man, and supports communities and charities worldwide.
As a result of continued change and the growth attached to it, we are working with Microgaming as they look to appoint a Head of People, based on the Isle of Man but with a Europe-wide remit. Reporting to the CFO, you will partner with him in understanding where he is looking to take the business and enabling that through a commercial people strategy. With a client group of 600 with the majority based on the Island but with c200 in Ipswich and a smaller number in Continental Europe, you will lead a team that delivers with quality as high as the products they make and support for our customers.
• Talent Acquisition – Ensuring the organisation attracts the top talent from the industry and further afield, both to the Isle of Man and across mainland England and the Europe. As well as mechanisms for talent attraction, you will drive the employer brand, making Microgaming a destination of choice for talent across Europe;
• Leadership Development – The business has made steps forward in this area and future leaders are on the right path. The next phase is about understanding what skills, behaviours and style will be necessary as the business continues to grow. This is about equipping the business for the needs of the future alongside the now;
• Performance & Reward – This should be closely aligned with business objectives. You should provide guidance and advise on how short and long-term incentives can drive the right behaviours as well as actions, all aligned to the culture and business plan.
• Communications – Linked with culture, the organisation values and open, honest and transparent style and this role will play a key part in ensuring that this is happening from the leadership team down and throughout the organisation globally;
• Talent management & learning – A strong pipeline and effective succession planning are critical to the organisation and this role. Gaps should be identified and skills require assessment and development.
You will be a deeply business-oriented People leader with a broad “generalist” skillset who thrives in a fast-paced, technology environment, operating internationally. The business has an extraordinary growth opportunity and the Head of People will play a critical role in ensuring the business achieves its full potential through profitable growth, innovation and cultivating a culture that attracts and retains exceptionally talented people.
• Exhibited a successful track record of high performance in an innovative, ideally technology-driven environment as Head of People;
• Evidence of building a best in class, talent acquisition strategy which attracts the right people through innovative techniques and a strong employer brand;
• Successfully developed a high-performing leadership team, ensuring they are fit for the future with succession plans in place for key or high risk roles;
• Understands different Reward levers that can be used to drive performance, aligned to business aims. This should include both short and long-term incentive alongside commercial salary benchmarking;
• Exceptional talent assessment skills including the ability to identify the experiences and capabilities needed in a role and the evidence of that in an individual’s background. A keen sense of whose leadership will be successful in the company;
• educated to degree level or equivalent professional experience
• Tremendous influencing skills, executive presence and gravitas. She/he will command the respect of the business leaders and colleagues by demonstrating a high degree of trustworthiness;
• Exceptional communications skills embracing traditional and digital methods which will compel people to listen and act;
• She/he has tremendous capacity to be a truth teller and provides candid feedback with courage and professionalism and drive top class performance;
• A solution-finder with a can-do attitude;
• Will roll up their sleeves and deliver operationally as well as working strategically. This is not a role for someone that enjoys an ivory tower;
• Looks at a problem from different angles with a 360 degree view of issues and challenges;
• Comfortable interrogating the facts, not just working on instinct and emotion;
• Bold and adventurous – aligned with the aspirational culture of the business;
• Straightforward, low ego, comfortable being one of the team and enabling others;
• A constant desire to improve and make things better;