Corporate Responsibility Manager
About Gowling WLG
Gowling WLG is an international law firm created by Gowlings, a leading Canadian law firm, and Wragge Lawrence Graham & Co (WLG), a leading UK-based international law firm. We built Gowling WLG to provide clients with legal services at home and around the world, and to help you succeed no matter how challenging the circumstances.
Gowling WLG clients have access to in-depth expertise in key global sectors along with a top-tier suite of legal services. With more than 1,400 legal professionals across offices in 18 cities worldwide and specialised expertise in countries around the globe, we’re positioned to help clients rise to the challenges they face – both today and tomorrow.
About the Team
There are three elements to our corporate responsibility agenda:
- Investing in our communities, through pro bono work, volunteering and charitable giving
- Promoting diversity and inclusion among our people
- Protecting the environment
This is an exciting oportuinty to join our CR team in April 2018.
Main Purpose of the Job
To support the Head of D, I & CR in the development and implementation of the firm's corporate responsibility strategy encompassing community investment, diversity & inclusion, environmental credentials and external collaboration (liaising with clients and suppliers). To represent the firm externally in relation to our corporate responsibility agenda.
- Internal: multiple, including leadership team, senior members of HR team, facilities team, operations team, reception team, communications team,, People First representatives, charity champions, eco team members, Practice Leaders, partners, associates, trainees, apprentices, trustees of the firm's Charitable Trust
- External: suppliers, charities and community groups, third party pro bono brokers, third party corporate responsibility networks, BSI external auditors,
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Supporting the Head of D, I & CR in the delivery of and engagement with, our community investment programme encompassing pro bono, volunteering activities for all partners and staff and charitable giving.
- Co-ordinating and developing the firm's pro bono programme.
- Maintaining and developing relationships with charities and community partners.
People/Diversity & Inclusion
- Supporting the Head of D, I & CR and the D&I Manager in their roles leading the Diversity & Inclusion programme.
- Engaging with new starters and responding to staff questions around the CR opportunities available to them.
- Engaging with the Environment Manager to ensure co-ordination of environmental matters within the wider CR programme including the maintenance of the firm's ISO14001 and ISO50001 accreditations.
- Attending Eco Team meetings.
- Promoting the firm's environmental credentials internally and externally.
- Promoting the firm's corporate responsibility credentials to clients and third parties (including responding to requests for tender processes and client data collection requests amongst others).
- Representing the firm in corporate responsibility bodies and membership organisations, and in some circumstances on behalf of the Head of D, I & CR, when they are unable to attend.
- Supporting the Head of D, I & CR and other internal stakeholders in engaging with key suppliers to identify opportunities for collaboration and ensuring suppliers follow the firm's corporate responsibility related policies and practices.
- Supporting the Head of D, I & CR in engaging with overseas offices to promote and identify opportunities to adopt responsible business initiatives.
- Maintaining corporate responsibility related content of intranet and website; monitoring data and reporting as needed.
- Leading the Birmingham cluster of law firms and clients in the Social Mobility Business Partnership.
- Co-ordinating one week's work experience for sixth form students as part of the firm's PRIME commitment.
Key skills and experience
- Either prior experience as a solicitor or strong understanding of legal matters in order to be able to assess and place pro bono matters
- Strong communications skills
- Ability to influence at all levels internally and externally including clients and contractors
- Ability to handle multiple strands of work concurrently
- Ability to draft pitch documents and intranet/website content/articles/other materials
- Confidence in acting as an ambassador for the firm
Gowling WLG is committed both to promoting equality and diversity in the firm and to Equal Opportunities in employment. The firm believes in equality of opportunity regardless of race or racial group (including colour, nationality, ethnicity, national origins), religion, caste or belief, age, disability, gender, gender identity, gender reassignment, sexual orientation, marriage and civil partnerships, surrogacy, adoption and parental rights. This also includes any incidents of perceptive or associative discrimination and harassment.