Achieving your dream goals
What would it take for you to achieve your dream goal? Olympic gold medallist Sally Gunnell OBE believes it’s all to do with having a positive mindset.
“70% of what it took to become Olympic champion was in my mind,” she says.
Naturally talented people can’t go for gold if they haven’t undertaken the necessary mental preparation. Most of what it takes to succeed is about controlling your mind-set.
Our minds are massive tools. The more you force feed yourself positive thoughts, the more you will believe in yourself. I went out in Barcelona and my goal was to win this race. If you visualise yourself being able to get to the very top – it really is amazing just how powerful the mind really is.
Setting goals for success
- View setbacks as a positive learning experience.
- Believe in yourself. It’s easy to listen to a ‘but if’ voice. Flip this on its head and focus on the end result.
- Set yourself around 5-6 small, but clear and realistic goals. Map out a precise path for how you are going to meet each one.
- Move out of your comfort zone. Stretch yourself, take the plunge and go for it.
- Give yourself a pat on the back with every accomplishment.