What is learning and development?
Learning & development, usually part of the HR team, is the generic name for any training and people development that occurs within a company.
- The sort of training that a company offers could be as follows:
- Soft skills personal and interpersonal skills, such as time management, team leadership, managing conflict
- Management development for potential management and leaders with a business managing a team, motivating people, communication skills, performance management
- Leadership development - same as above but for senior leaders and would include: managing change; influencing skills; commercial management
- Technical skills - IT, technology, systems training
- Product training - i.e. insurance, IT, products sales
- Sales Training
- Professional training - presentation skills, pitching for new business, negotiation skills (usually for professional services organisations such as Law Firms, Consultancy, Accountancy)
Methods of delivery:
These learning subjects can be designed and delivered in-house or outsourced to specialist third parties. Delivery methods vary to cover:
- Classroom training
- 121 career planning
- Action learning on the job training
- Modular learning programmes (encompassing all of the above)